2004 342 Fiesta Vee Windshield

MinaMina Member Posts: 43
When Hurricane Ida blew through our are here in Slidell, Louisiana the walkthrough portion of my windshield was blown open and the isinglass center was ripped up pretty good. The walkthrough window glass is about half an inch extended at the top to the starboard side and cannot be latched. I don’t see any area where there was movement on the frame.  The folks at Ullman Sails tell me that the isinglass cannot be repaired and my option is to have them make a new one. But, I have to repair the windshield and get it to sit down first. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks, Ken

Ken Walker 2004 342 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture? Maybe we can figure out what needs to be adjusted or bent back into place.
    2008 330EC
  • alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Likely not a big help, but I’ll share my story.   The year I got my 342 I was sitting at the helm and saw the trees up river from the marina lay over and a wall of wind and rain barreling toward us.  I was standing in front of the walk through window by the time it hit, and thankfully so because the wind tore the walk through window open.  I was able to grab it before it opened all the way, and I had to hold it tightly until the wind let up.   After that event the window would not close because the frame was hitting the windshield frame on the other side.  I had to force it closed each time it was used for the next few weeks, but eventually I noticed it was back to normal.   I was so preoccupied by a number of other issues I was dealing with that I never did get a chance to look what was causing the frame to hit.  If I had to guess, I would say the piano hinge pulled away / opened up, and eventually bent back into place.    

Good luck. 
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • MinaMina Member Posts: 43

That is exactly what happened to mine.
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Any idea where to get those plastic inserts?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    That’s the only thing I can think of. The window got blown open a stretched the hinge. I guess I’ll have to take the window off and disassemble it to tap the hinge down.
    Raybo3, I guess Great Lakes Skiper.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The walk-thru window hinge has a small plastic tab that holds the window in place vertically. If that tab is removed/broken, you can open the window to the 90 degree position and pull the window frame out of the hinge. 

Check if that plastic tab is missing (middle of second photo). 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Thanks YYRC, when I took that tab off it fell apart. Do you think Great Lakes Skipper would have one?
    edited May 2023
    I’m willing to bet these windshields are made by Taylor Made. Perhaps reaching out to them would be helpful.

https://www.taylormadeproducts.com/hardware/

Look at the hinge retainer clip here https://www.taylormadeproducts.com/hardware/walk-thru-door-parts/

2006 342FV - Ontario