Options

has anyone used this oil pump to change your engine oil?

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
I am thinking of buying an oil pump on amazon to change the oil in my Mercruiser engine.  Does anyone have any opinons
on doing an oil change this way?  

Vevitts Engine Oil Pump, Portable Electric Self-Priming Motor Oil Pump for Car Motorcycle and Boat Engine Oil Transfer Change Pump 12V 100W 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    I use the same one @Pat310 but it started to leak on me (I never had to prim it). I’m looking for a new one to upgrade to.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Looks ok....not sure I would try to mount it in the bilge as with fuel fumes...I spent more that that on a really nice manual one..it will do break lines and other things...
    Do you remember the name of the manual one that you use?  I would like to consider all options before making a purchase.  Thanks.
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Ras , I have been using the same kind, different brand for about 10 years now for my cars, now it serves double duty for the boat. Great choice
  • Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Does that connect directly to the dipstick port?  Are there any downsides to doing it that way vs the bottom drain?  I can only imagine a lot of upside. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Jabsco hand pump works perfect & fast. Especially if oil is warm.
    Threads onto Merc dipstick neck perfectly. 

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MH342 said:
    Does that connect directly to the dipstick port?  Are there any downsides to doing it that way vs the bottom drain?  I can only imagine a lot of upside. 
    It can be done either way- I did the bottom drain...
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the same pump as rasbury, through the dipstick. Works great.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post and gave me more options to research before I buy an oil extractor.  I hate to buy something that does not work and has to be replaced after a few uses.   
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I have the same one as rasbury, works good but not the fastest.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have same one as @rasbury but I rarely use it to change oil as it takes too long.  I use it to bleed the brakes(you may need to manually bleed then afterward as it can cause air bubbles to gather power bleeding).  

I also use if to pump out fuel tanks, power steering and trim pump tanks. 

For oil I use a 12v pump.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to do it daily I would have an electric for sure- for the home tinkerer...