Options

Trim/Tilt line broken transom

TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
Trim fluid in bilge. Per my mechanic the line from the pump to the drive is cracked/broken where it bolts inside the drive? He’s telling me the only way to fix it is to pull the engine. Does that sound right? 2008 400EC.
2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ

Comments

• Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Is there a chance he said pull the drive off vs pull the motor out?
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm over 6 ft tall, @170 lbs.  I could do it on my inline 6 engine without pulling the motor so long as I had a helper outside the boat.   

On a V8 motor it would be much more difficult...but doable.

On a twin inboard motor it will be near impossible id you can't get to the side of the motors.

Your mechanic may not be physically capable of doing this job without removing the motor and it may be quicker for him to remove the motor than fight with it while laying awkwardly on his side fighting for possible hours.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Ouch.  Bravo 3?  Yes, you'll need to pull the engine, or at least disconnect it and move it forward.  
  • Options
    TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
    Yes Bravo 3. 

2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest the same as lerea..but having pulled my 350 out of my 270..it is really not that big of a deal. I had to pull mine to do the transom asy...but on mine I could lift it/ move it forward and pretty sure I could do those lines..and do both while your doing it.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I replaced mine when I had a 270 without removing the motor 
  • Options
    @gmslitho hats off, I don't see how you did it without at least moving it forward.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    @gmslitho hats off, I don't see how you did it without at least moving it forward.
    You have to have arms like slinderman and flexibility like Gumby. 

For those built like Phil Kessel, it's impossible without moving the motor.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    they they had to snake through the bilge and out through the bottom of the transom 

• Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    they they had to snake through the bilge and out through the bottom of the transom 

I guess if you do it for a living you get it figured out. Saved you several shop time hours. I wish I would have done with the motor while I had it out. Plugs and such...but itcwas running great.