Options

05 Rinker 320 FV Gas backing up on Starboard side when I try to fill it.

Ihave asked before and even at my marina where they work on my boat. They say its a clogged vent and blow it out with air, but it seems to work ,but still cant get gas in. I just took it out storage in climate controlled building so how can spidersetc.. are clogging it. What else can it be? Its getting frustrating in dealing with this. Any thoughts what else could it be. The fuel line looks ok and not sag its the same as the port side , but not getting any issues on port side. 

Comments

• Options
    pilawampilawam Member Posts: 52
    I do notice that when I try to put gas in very slowly, I get a gurgle sound coming back up and some gas and bubbles blow out and it clears out and able to fill it. I also notice that my SB side gas gauge doesnt move either, only when it clears out. 
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Can you get to the tank fittings easily? Find the vent line at the tank and give it a shot of compressed air until it is clear. 
    Other possibility- if boat was filled with 5 gallon cans at some point maybe the spout fell off in the fill line and is causing a slight obstruction?
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Thanks, no never used cans to fill it, only at the marina. I have to remove the cockpit fridge to get at the tank. I have to do this anyway this weekend as I have to get to some of the floor lights to replace. I will check that thanks.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Really sounds like the vent is plugged. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    pilawam said:
    ... when I try to put gas in very slowly, I get a gurgle sound coming back up and some gas and bubbles blow out and it clears out and able to fill it.
    That's what I have to do on both sides.  If I just stick the pump in and squeeze the handle, it will back up and shut off the pump.  I have to pump slow for the first 15-20 seconds, then I can go full speed.  It has always been that way.  
  • Options
    ok, anybody come across this issue, boat was out on the lake this weekend and Saturday, try to fill port side went well with pumping gas, but starboard still an issue. What is wierd gauge showed full. Got on the lake for the two days, all of sudden gas gauge on SB started to move and at the end of yesterday i was less than half a tank. gas vent was blown out with air, Could it be that the SB is just full with gas or is there something else going on? The float maybe , very confused as to what is going on. Everyone I talk to feels the vent is the issue,but I dont think it is. I thought maybe I was running on one tank but having the SB gauge now moving dont think that is the issue or can a valve be stuck. 

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked to see - and manually open/close - your valves to make sure they operate correctly? There should be three. One for each tank and a cross-over valve. See that they are all in the proper orientation (Starboard open, port open, crossover closed).

It's also a good idea to manually operate and inspect the condition of all your valves, including thru-hulls, at least once a year just to keep them from seizing up over time.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    Could it be an issue with the tank level sender, such as a faulty ground connection?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If bugs get in the vent does that cause back pressure?
  • Options
    Finally got into the engine compartment. Look at vent hose on SB side and compared it to Port side. THere was a dip in the SB vent hose. Got a couple of zip ties and position the hose just like the Port side. So hopefully this was the issue. Still going to blow some air into to. Hoping though it was the dip in the hose

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's us know but I had suspected venting from your first posting and I think lerea had the tank was full and not reading...
  • Options