276 BR Battery Panel - Questions

franchrmfranchrm Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Hi all. I just bought a 2016 Rinker 276 BR with 34 hours on it. I had a 246 and a 262 before this one. Both the 246 and 262 battery systems had the simple "1, 2 Both" battery selector switch. The one on the 276 is different style (see picture). Can anyone provide me any tips as I did not get any info on the boat.  A few questions:

On the other boats I put battery chargers directly to the battery terminals when in storage.  Do I have to open the power hatch everytime after use to hook up chargers on the batteries or can is be done from the battery posts on the panel?

What are the "Hatch Override" battery posts on the panel used for (to power the hatch in case of battery failure?)

Are the four black swithced with the red button breaker switched?  What are they used for?

The red dial has an exlamation point when moving to Combined Batteries.  Any tips or info. on when you move to both?

Thanks

Comments

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    franchrm said:

Hi all. I just bought a 2016 Rinker 276 BR with 34 hours on it. I had a 246 and a 262 before this one. Both the 246 and 262 battery systems had the simple "1, 2 Both" battery selector switch. The one on the 276 is different style (see picture). Can anyone provide me any tips as I did not get any info on the boat.  A few questions:

On the other boats I put battery chargers directly to the battery terminals when in storage.  Do I have to open the power hatch everytime after use to hook up chargers on the batteries or can is be done from the battery posts on the panel?

If yours was not ordered with the factory battery charger you will have to run individual battery chargers to each battery or install a built-in charger yourself. I installed a 3 bank charger (since I added another house battery), and then installed the power inlet on the port side.

What are the "Hatch Override" battery posts on the panel used for (to power the hatch in case of battery failure?)

These are to lift the (super friggin heavy) sunpad in case you have dead batteries. I pull my batteries and take them home for the winter, so I use these terminals to raise & lower the hatch. You can also use a jump pack on them also, if need be.

Are the four black swithced with the red button breaker switched?  What are they used for?

Those are breakers, so in case you had some kind of short circuit those may trip. I've never had to touch mine, but good to know they are there.

The red dial has an exlamation point when moving to Combined Batteries.  Any tips or info. on when you move to both?

Leave it to OFF when, you guessed it, you want everything OFF. The only thing that will have power is items directly wired, which is basically the bilge pump and radio memory. Normal operation - move it to ON, this should utilize only the house battery when you're at anchor. So even if you kill the house battery you should have a charged starting battery to get it running & recharged.

If you kill the starting battery you can use COMBINE, which you guessed it, combines the batteries to one source. The system will charge both batteries when the engine is running and the switch is set to ON, so use that mode pretty much exclusively.

Thanks

I've got a 2013 276 cuddy that I've owned since new, so I know the thing pretty much inside & out, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :)

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeStang is the resident expert on this model!  

On some systems, the exclamation point means "Don't change the switch position while the engine is running."  
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    @JoeStang

Good to see you back after winter slumber.....!

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • franchrmfranchrm Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    This is a HUGE help! Thanks.
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    @JoeStang

Good to see you back after winter slumber.....!

Haha! Winter means snowmobiling and indoor travel soccer, no rest for the weary :)

LaRea said:
    @JoeStang is the resident expert on this model!  

On some systems, the exclamation point means "Don't change the switch position while the engine is running."  

Agreed, you definitely dont want to make ANY battery position changes with the engine running.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3