Options

2005 342 FV Cool Fuel Module leaking water

Maddux99Maddux99 Member Posts: 19
Hello everyone, when I opened up the boat last week I had a leak on the port engine cool fuel module. The leak is due to a broken plastic fitting on the lower water hose. I have already purchased a new hose bib assembly as I could not get a new plastic fitting separately. My question is, can I cut the hoses and use barb fittings to couple the new hose ends with the new bracket and fittings to the old hoses. That way I won't have to dig in so deep to get to the orifice metering assembly.

2005 342 FV

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2023
    YYZRC said:
    Thanks!  That is what I wanted. I searched before I bought the part but didn't find that thread.  Since I already have the new part I think I'm going to splice the new ends in. He used barbed fittings with good results so I think I should be fine. If I have this problem again I will go for the permanent fix. 
    2005 342 FV
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 doesn’t half a$$ anything. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL!
    @Maddux99 since you have the assembly already, I would install that… To do the repair I did, the whole module will need to come out to do it correctly.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since I've replied. I got the repair done finally, work has been crazy. I installed the new part, but the sealing surface on the module was pitted badly and wouldn't seal. I wound up using a modified version of Aero's fix using the new connectors and Permatex Ultra Blue. I let that cure for 48 hours before a test run and it was dry. Thanks do much for your help! 
    2005 342 FV
  • Options
    Now that I've got the engines running I have a new problem. I have a water leak coming from behind the cockpit refrigerator/icemaker. It is only leaking when the engines are running. I have eliminated the freshwater system by pressurizing with the pump (no leaks), and the hvac cooling water system (no leaks with it in service). Looking through the trashcan hole I can see water running out from behind where the sub is mounted beside the helm when the engines are running. I plan to pull the fridge out today so I can crawl in there and try to see where the leak is, but I can't figure out what engine system could even have water up there. Any ideas?
    2005 342 FV
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Is your hot water tank in that space?
  • Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    If it’s only under way, my money is on a loose Speedo tube!  Those can pump a lot of water. Ask me how I know 😉
    Post edited by MH342 on
  • Options
    Found the leak today.

Grahamu, the water heater is beside the starboard engine.

MH342, I had not thought about the speedo tube, but that wasn't it. Besides, it leaked anytime the engine was running , boat didn't have to be moving.

There is an aftermarket heater installed in the dead space behind the fridge. I knew it was there but I thought it was electric only. The water hoses were hidden inside a corrugated pipe wrap until I got the fridge removed and crawled in there where I could investigate. They were also hidden very well in the engine bay and I didnt notice they went somewhere other than just to the water heater. As it turns out, the line comes out of the engine and goes to the space heater, then goes to the water heater, then returns to the engine. 

Water pours out of the space heater when the starboard engine is in service. For now I'm going to bypass the space heater. I plan to replace it before winter, but it's not a high priority for us since we don't boat much (if any at all) in the cold. 

2005 342 FV
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    @Maddux99 bring it to a radiator shop and they can probably recore it. Would probably be cheaper then buying a new one. I never priced one though so I could be wrong….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Maddux99 bring it to a radiator shop and they can probably recore it. Would probably be cheaper then buying a new one. I never priced one though so I could be wrong….
    That's a great idea.  I'll try that. I have a great radiator shop close to home. If it can be fixed they can do it.   Looks like the heater is just over $200 to replace. 
    2005 342 FV
  • Options
    Wow crazy. Never heard of that before but glad you found the issue!  My long-shot guess wasn’t even close. 
  • Options
    What’s the purpose of that heater?  Is it sending hot air down below into the aft cabin or into the cockpit? I’m in upstate NY but even in our season, I can’t imagine needing to heat any of those areas while underway.  
  • Options
    MH342 said:
    What’s the purpose of that heater?  Is it sending hot air down below into the aft cabin or into the cockpit? I’m in upstate NY but even in our season, I can’t imagine needing to heat any of those areas while underway.  
    It is sending heat to the helm area. Vents have been cut in above the chart plotter and below the Windshield as a defroster.  Here you can see the vent and switch above the old plotter.  The second vent is on top of the helm forward of the guage panel pointing up at the Windshield. I'm not new to boating, but I am new to cruisers and I was the same as you. I racked my brain trying to figure out how or why engine cooling water was routed way up there. 

2005 342 FV
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    it is kind of a cool modification. I never thought about something like that before.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!