Stupid is and stupid does

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
USCG has started cracking down on illegal charters in our area. Here's a story about one shmuck going to jail for a year...

###

CHICAGO — A boat owner has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for illegally running charter operations on Chicago waterways, which include the Chicago River, Lake Michigan and “the Playpen.”

Christopher Mike Garbowski admitted to using a 40-foot powerboat known as “Sea Hawk” and “Anchorman” from 2017 to 2019 for personal profit, as he charged money to charter the boat to groups of passengers.

Garbowski lacked the proper boating credentials, and the U.S. Coast Guard had not inspected and certified his vessel, however.

The Coast Guard notified Garbowski about the federal regulations on multiple occasions. In one instance, prosecutors alleged that Garbowski called a potential customer by phone and asked that she lie to Coast Guard personnel by pretending they were friends with him.

According to prosecutors, Garbowski both verbally and in writing, denied to Coast Guard officials that he was operating a commercial charter service on multiple occasions.

Garbowski, who was also known as Michael Gunnman, 37, of Sterling Heights, Michigan pleaded guilty to a felony charge of violating an order of the Captain of the Port.

###

Source: https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/prison-time-for-boater-who-ran-illegal-charter-operations-on-chicago-waterways/

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy was just trying to scratch out a living, but did not follow the law. 
    Boat Name : 

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Somehow a guy using two different names doesn't scream honesty to me.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And must have been a reason he could not run a ligit business- plus who knows how safe tge boat was- what if it sank or blew up? He might be thanking the stars he got busted now vs a negligent murder charge...
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Evading taxes is the least of my worries when it comes to an illegal charter.   The money spent on said charter has already been taxed and so has all the beer, bait, fuel and registration for the boat.  

If the people collecting the taxes had a cash shortage maybe they'd stop wasting our hard earned money on crap most people don't agree with anyway.  

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not touching that comment!  :D  In prison, he'll have plenty of time for a long discussion with the IRS.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I hear Miami is known for illegal charters, I’m sure it goes on all over. Crazy people risk it. The passengers should research the captain/boat before they book the charter but I’m sure it’s mostly young kids that don’t care and just want to party.
    2008 330EC
    edited June 2023
    I happen to enjoy my south of Miami illegal charters.  Usually a retired snow bird living aboard a trawler.   My only worry has been running out of beer.    I've also done plenty of big charters, the one man operations ones are always more relaxed and slow paced.  They are not trying to fit in 20 charters a week.   As far as safety goes,   they are not going to take their live aboard out in anything but ideal weather.   Plus these dudes are 65 plus,  my 6ft tall 15yr old could take him.  There are other safety issues to take into account but a major failure or boating accident can happen in any boat.    Getting drunk and fallling off in a BYOB situation is the fault of the passenger and not the captain.  It's up to each individual to know their limits.  Sadly this world has made everyone innocent to their own bad decisions.  He's a captain, not your mom or babysitter.  

I look at it as charity and not so much illegal chartering.  I'm helping to fund their golden years.  I'll likely be running an illegal repair shop to make ends meet when I'm their age.  

I am not a fan of any of the government 3 letter agencies.  
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry but is sure is nice when someone pays you in cash 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I'll throw in my 2 cents....illegal charters aren't fair to the honest guys that do all the proper licensing, training and insurance coverage that needs to be in place for everyones safety and to keep up the good name and reputation of the industry. Period. I will add though that as someone that uses charters all the time that I have no issue with a part cash deal i.e. book a 4 hour, go for 6 at the four hour rate and the rest is "tip".
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    edited June 2023
    You could say the same about paying the kid down the street to mow your lawn vs a landscaping company. Or a shade tree mechanic repairing your lawn mower vs a dealership.     

Your uppity clientel likely won't be chartering the live aboards I prefer to use.    There's enough fishing trips to go around.   

I'd be more worried about how I can only keep a mutton snapper 18 inches or larger, and only 3 per person but a Chinese drag net trawler takes them by the ton.   

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    That’s a solid ratio. Really solid. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evading taxes is the least of my worries when it comes to an illegal charter.   The money spent on said charter has already been taxed and so has all the beer, bait, fuel and registration for the boat.  

If the people collecting the taxes had a cash shortage maybe they'd stop wasting our hard earned money on crap most people don't agree with anyway.  

Mo Rick,  the taxes just get raised!
    Neat story how income taxes were started in an "emergency situation" but continued after the war because...money.