Options

Thoughts on 270 Conversion to outboards

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just a fun Friday morning topic to think about.. 

https://southernboating.com/haul-out-guide/powerful-shift-sterndrive-to-outboard-conversions-surge/

Not that mine needs a new motor or anything, but, if there was an option like this for the 270, I wouldn't constantly be looking for something else... hmmmm... wonder if it's worth seeing if anyone will do something like this to it.. 

1. Losing the swim platform would suck
2. Putting twins on it would be amazing
3. Not having to scrub the out drive every week would also be amazing. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    4. Converting the engine room to a 4-person hot tub would be sweet!

We discussed this idea last year.  My biggest question was about stability.  It would be great to hear feedback from somebody who did a conversion like this!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea toss a few cinder blocks in the bow and you are golden. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Paying attention to this post. Love the idea of outboards.wonder how much I could get on a trade for the 350 mags??
    Unfortunately my issue on the 350 EC is the molded swim platform. Mounting the OBs would be difficult.
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Check out the YouTube vids on conversion projects.  It's not exactly a simple conversion, but it can definitely work.  One guy was doing sea trials trying to optimize the engine mounting height and type of propeller.  Like any major project, it's all about tradeoffs.  

@J3ff -- great Friday morning topic!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several Bayliner 2452 (hard top like my boat but smaller version) outboard conversions.  Bayliner=cheap and a stupid popular boat in the PNC from Cali all the way to Alaska.    Being a cheap hull it leaves budget for plenty of mods.   These guys want more efficiency than underpowered small blocks due to range issues.  

If you use a flotation enclosed outboard bracket you could extend the hull and keep a swim platform.  Won't be as big but still a platform that is accessable.   There is at least one custom outboard bracket manufacturer located in your sunshine state.  

Pretty sure there are few write ups on converting an old Hatteras over to outboard as well as Marinette hulls scattered about different forms and YouTube.

Some have reported floundering after the conversion.  It likely kills any resell value even if it does run like God intended the boat to come with outboards.  The tanking value is usually the first thing brought up when this is mentioned on the hull truth or similar boards. 

There's reportedly a 2859 charter boat like mine that now has twins on the back somewhere in Alaska.   Second hand reviews rave on it.   A PNW charter boat wouldn't be prone to floundering so if here say is correct the outboards were a success in this instance 

I believe just north of you there's a Bayliner 3058 or 3288 converted to twin 125 or 150s for sale, I seem to think asking price was less than 20k.  

The idea of twin outboards is a tempting one.  

With the engine bay clear there's plenty of room for a large genny and fish boxes with ice makers.     Moving the water tank and batteries under the v berth seems like a must at that point although with added flotation extending a foot or two past the transom may make this unnecessary. 

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming you had a 270 or similar that needed to be repowered (engine and drive worth $0), it would be an interesting way to take a $15k Rinker hull, add $40k worth of outboards and fabrication, to be left with a Rinker hull worth $0 and two outboards worth half their purchase price. 

Would be a fun project though!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    I have one boat in the marine which it has the outboard conversions, I am going to ask him couple question about the boat performances and if he recommends it, But I will love to do the diesel conversion in my 310 in the future.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    Rinker boat with 3 outboard in the back. I don't know what model it is.

• Options
    There are several Bayliner 2452 (hard top like my boat but smaller version) outboard conversions.  Bayliner=cheap and a stupid popular boat in the PNC from Cali all the way to Alaska.    Being a cheap hull it leaves budget for plenty of mods.   These guys want more efficiency than underpowered small blocks due to range issues.  

If you use a flotation enclosed outboard bracket you could extend the hull and keep a swim platform.  Won't be as big but still a platform that is accessable.   There is at least one custom outboard bracket manufacturer located in your sunshine state.  

Pretty sure there are few write ups on converting an old Hatteras over to outboard as well as Marinette hulls scattered about different forms and YouTube.

Some have reported floundering after the conversion.  It likely kills any resell value even if it does run like God intended the boat to come with outboards.  The tanking value is usually the first thing brought up when this is mentioned on the hull truth or similar boards. 

There's reportedly a 2859 charter boat like mine that now has twins on the back somewhere in Alaska.   Second hand reviews rave on it.   A PNW charter boat wouldn't be prone to floundering so if here say is correct the outboards were a success in this instance 

I believe just north of you there's a Bayliner 3058 or 3288 converted to twin 125 or 150s for sale, I seem to think asking price was less than 20k.  

The idea of twin outboards is a tempting one.  

With the engine bay clear there's plenty of room for a large genny and fish boxes with ice makers.     Moving the water tank and batteries under the v berth seems like a must at that point although with added flotation extending a foot or two past the transom may make this unnecessary. 

I think i remember seeing it. Unfortunately the pictures didn't look great, will take another look for sure.  
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    Rinker boat with 3 outboard in the back. I don't know what model it is.

That is awesome! 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Looks like it's a 330 - here's the video that's from, 12 mins and 24 seconds in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACINlRdhAI 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were to do that type of conversion..I wonder if electric would keep those costs down. Your genny can recharge as needed and I wonder if there is a way to run a charger with water power while underway...would not be for everyone's boating....fuel cell?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compare a 270 with electric outboards to the latest greatest ev pickup or SUV towing a 30 camper.   You can fill the engine bay with batteries and cooling equipment.  The best you're going to get is maybe 100 nautical miles at hull speed and perfect glass water.  Then you'll need a month to recharge.  

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 340
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I saw an electric boat on the news the other day- it was a pretty good size boat, 25' maybe. They showed how it was built, like an aircraft fuselage. All aluminum construction. It was a day rental boat...it performed and went  pretty well. 100 grand. https://www.boatblurb.com/post/four-winns-enters-electric-boat-market-with-h2e-bowrider 

It's not going to be for everyone but keep in mind submarines in wwll we're electric while running underwater!