Options

Photos of worn anodes

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Most recommendations for replacing anodes are when they are down to 50% remaining by weight.  I just replaced my 4 year old Bravo3 anodes, a year longer than I had planned.  While they looked real bad to me, my before and after weights show % remaining to be much higher than I would have expected.

In the photos below, the amount remaining from top to bottom (and left to right) are as follows:
77%
62-69%
80%
73-78%

My sense is most people on this forum replace before they get this used up.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Is that magnesium?  Mine look like that after one season.  I replace them annually.  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Last time I took mine off I did the same thing and weighed them and figured they were still good and I was replacing them sooner than needed. Since magnesium is the most expensive anode version I now replace every 2-3 seasons (12-18 total months in water) instead of annually. Saves some money for other things on the boat.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea yes, magnesium.  Fresh water and in water about 4 1/2 months per year.
  • Options
    @Spyderweb I forgot how short the boating season is at your latitude.  We're usually in the water for 7-8 months.  Also it's clear that nobody near you has electrical issues.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So at some point with corrosion do the become less effective? I trailer our boat and lord knows its not in the water much but I did just replace them- but they did not look that bad...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I am in salt water and I change mine at the half way point of the season. Very cheap insurance changing zinc's vs very expensive outdrives...... Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Spyderweb said:
    @LaRea yes, magnesium.  Fresh water and in water about 4 1/2 months per year.
    I just Al as per recommendations for fresh and change every 2nd season because for under $100 it’s not worth going another year.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Here's another reason I change anodes every spring.  Suppose I don't change them, and then I get a new dock neighbor with a stray current problem.  I'd want to enter that fight with full protection rather than depleted anodes.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I replace mine every 5 years or so whether it needs or not. :smile: Oh, yes, I'm on a lift!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express