Options

Painting props

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
ok so this thought might be considered sacrilege. Might even get me booted from the site.  There are a lot of posts on cleaning SS props.  However, I haven't found any from anyone professing the benefits of painting SS props with some form of antifouling paint.  I am bottom painting and painting my out drives and the props were covered in barnacles.  Does anyone paint their props?  Does it help?  Other than not having shiny props any reason not to?
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People do paint their props but I don’t think the paint stays on too long…. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The SS props were painted on the 330 when I got it. It was pretty durable in fresh water. Can’t see the harm. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    If you are in salt water, yes paint the props. Here is a picture of my props when I bought the boat last year (In the middle of the summer, I had it short hauled to look at the bottom and have it cleaned because I was having trouble getting on plane). The bottom was clean, but turned out that the props and the trim tabs were full of barnacles. Not sure exactly what they were painted with them before it went in the water, but it didn't work. 

You can use a couple of different products. Petit makes a product called Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier which is what I used this year. There is also a product called PropSpeed that is expensive but is supposed to work very well. I would spend some time googling to see what you would think would work best for your application.
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nasty! I would have thought anything on there would quickly spin off...
  • Options
    @rasbury you would think that wouldn't you.  So mine sat for about 2 months (April, May) and pretty much looked like that.  Powerwasher wouldn't budge them.  Before when i was on a lift having pretty shiny props was doable.  Now i am thinking i am going to have to paint them.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Good luck getting paint to stick.  One year I painted mine with leftover Primocon and Trilux.  Did a very careful prep.  Drove her 8 miles to a haul out for other work, and the paint was mostly gone when I got there.

The only prop finish that might stay put is PropSpeed, but it's pretty expensive (probably $250 per propeller).
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I've had pretty good luck getting paint (cheap paint) to stick to aluminum and stainless by degreasing, sanding, final cleaning with rubbing alcohol/water 50/50 solution and bully dog adhesive promoter.   Once the adhesive promoter is applied follow instructions to prime then paint with your choice of paint.  Usually the primer dry time is the most time consuming part.  

I'm no where close to salt water but I'd try it  before I'd pay 250 a prop.    

I've had zero luck painting aluminum, chrome or stainless without adhesive promotor. 

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just never had the issue as I trailer. I did leave it in the water foe3 months,  the hull got nasty but nothing on the props- but fresh water.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    I used  PropSpeed  one time, but it was gone after several month.  Our props rotate too fast, plus the edges of the prop are very sharp, so any paint will be gone in several month. I also have to take my prop to a shop to get the beautiful shine back after the paint was gone. Too much work
  • Options
    I am going to give painting them a shot.  Worst case scenario is that i end up stripping it off this winter.  I bought a mortar tub and a couple of gallons of muriatic acid from HD.  Soaked them in it last night.  Ordered a can of Bulldog Adhesion promotor and a couple cans of pettit prop coat barnacle barrier 1792.  The good news is that from taking the props off every year they sure go on an off a whole lot easier than the first year i got the boat.  
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Painting the props update...well, the props were painted with extra care this year...
    I checked the props this weekend and guess what...didn't matter, the barnacles are back again this year. So, the boat is getting short hauled today for a quick bath. I know I can certainly find a better place to spend $500+ but I guess it's gotta be done. 
    Granted, I haven't been able to run the boat as much as I would have liked to because the weather hasn't really cooperated in my area this year...but still. 
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the rest of you guys but I have a 15 yr old that would likely do a weekly outdrive scrub for 50 bucks a pop in any marina that isn't crawling with freshly filled fish carcasses that can attract sharks.