Options

Access to transom stereo remote

johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
For anyone who has changed out the transom stereo wired remote, what is the easiest way to access the back of this remote?
2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Remove the breaker box below it and reach up in. It is held in place with a u shaped metal bracket with two small (maybe 10mm) nuts. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also the engine vent grill from the outside. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    You might be able to reach up from inside the engine compartment. It’s tight and high but maybe be doable. I remember looking up at it in my engine bay once. Removing the breaker panel will probably be easiest though.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks all - very helpful. I was able to get access through the breaker panel (with some scratches to the arm).

For anyone who has replaced these - the old Clarion on the transom was a CMRC1-BSS. Those types of remotes are hard wired. They have a mounting stud on the back for an electrical connection. (The same for the old MW-1 on my dash). Now the transom unit is a 6 pin. The new MW1 is an 8 pin. I bought a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter. From what I have read (and there isn't that much information on this believe it or not), the new MW1 (which doesn't have any mounting stud for power as the unit is supposed to just work with the 8 pin cable) is supposed to work. You won't see any lighting or the display screen, but the buttons are supposed to work. Nope. Nothing. From the limited information that I saw online, one guy had to remove the power from his old MW1 on the dash, which allowed both new style MW1 to work (buttons only not the display). 

As for now, I am fine with having the dash remote work. I replaced the transom one because it was cracked and I was hoping that the new MW1 would at least be able to control the volume. 

If anyone has been down this road and has information to add or offer, it would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I gave up trying to find an adapter and replaced the head unit and transom remote with newer Clarion stuff. I eliminated the helm remote. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed the stereo, remotes, and wire to the new 8 pin. Didn't bother with adapters. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks. I guess that's money to be spent on a future project. My stereo is relatively new from the previous owner (Clarion M309). I bought a blue tooth adapter from Amazon that works well. I may change out the head unit to a Clarion M508 at some point. The thought of running new wires for the remote...not something that I want to do. Maybe I'll search for a system with wireless remotes that don't require too much work for replacement. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    @johnny44
    I've travelled that same stereo path you are on. Clarion upgrades, remotes, Kicker, JL Audio & Fusion.
    I would save up & do a proper revamp. Clarion works well - when it works. But have a good look at the newer marine brands. The features & quality are far better now. Tech has moved along dramatically recent years. Wired & wireless remotes.

Our last revamp....we hired marine pros for the install. The cabling & neatness & proper set up is worth every penny when you pay the pros. 

Fusion stereos (Garmin) are awesome. JL Audio exceptional as well.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Since all music is through my phones now, I did away with a true stereo head unit. Currently have a Bluetooth receiver that has RCA output going directly to a hidden 200 watt alpine amp that is turned on by a separate breaker. Volume and music controls all handled by the iPhone and I can easily let someone else play tunes as well
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sort of set up @Rich_ seems to be the way to go- my 07 still has the original head unit and Amp. None of the controls work. We don't really listen to it that much
     At the marina I guess it's a pho pa to have music going...there aren't really any raft up parties my end of the river. Sometimes sitting or running yes on the music but I got bigger fish to fry it seems to deal with...
  • Options
    I went with the M508 with Sirius module. I mounted the new Sirius antenna in the helm behind the compass. Works great. Lots of options as @mattie says but you can also spend big $$. I did the head unit, speakers, cables (everything but the amp) for under $800 by watching for deals. 

Getting the old remote cable out is a bear as it is zip tied to the harness. I originally left it in place and slowly cut it out over time. 
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    As long as I have cell service I can use the SiriusXM app. Bonus with that is there are more channels than the standard lineup 
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    @johnny44 I forgot to mention, you should check the nuts holding heavy gauge wires on the charging breakers. I had two come loose which caused intermittent charging issues. 

One approach you might consider is moving the helm MW1 to the transom if that’s where you will primarily control the stereo from. The helm control is easy to access by removing the switch bank - perhaps if you disconnect it, the transom control will work. 
  • Options
    So I found an old Rockford Fosgate wired remote (RFXMR3). It is the same puck style (no drilling or filling holes) and same hard wire as the old Clarion MW1 with the electrical spade on the back. **Supposedly** it works with Clarion according to some research (and by research I am talking about my friend Google). So I am spending the $40 to see if it will work. 

If this works and it buys me a couple of years, then by that time, I am sure technology will have come up with some great head units and wireless remotes that will fill those spaces. Worst case, it doesn't work, but I have a new looking remote on the transom that looks pretty and is functionless. For now, I am okay with my current head unit. Replacing the speakers 2 at a time with the Polk ones recommended from the forum and noticing a difference. 

If anyone needs a new style MW1, let me know, I am hoping to have a spare one available!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    You will most likely have succumbed to that nasty mariners disease commonly known as twofootitis before you need to upgrade the remote…