Options

Starter testing

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
Figured I'd start another thread on my starter...I am having issue when cranking- it turns over nice and strong and then another turn of this key I hear this noise which is hard to describe other than a loud dead short- like in the movies when someone is being electrocuted! Them everything on the key goes dead. It did this once and I think killed the stater battery which I replaced, it would no longer charge even pulled out of the boat. New battery and it did it again...after a bit it would crank again.  Then it did it again. Not wanting to fry the new battery ( which may have happened ) I pulled the starter to get it tested- all the auto parts store did I think was hit it with some juice, the starter functioned but he pointed out that the hot post on the selonoid you can wiggle..could this be cause a connection issue in the selonoid and cause me some problems? I guess, like the boat shop would say, let's replace it and see if that was the issue?

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the solenoid post is compromised, where the meat and potatoes source of your starting power comes from, then a replacement is a no brainier if you're a shop.  Who wants to deal with an angry customer who was able to start his boat and head out to the sand bar but had to pay for a tow to get back when a known issue failed completely?  Shops need 110% out the door guarantee on their work.  Customers pay for a warm and fuzzy feeling that they don't have to worry about a failure after a repair.    

I'd also check all your battery connections, ground and pos.  Going from batteries to selector switch and back to engine.  Sounds like you have a short somewhere. 

Using a multimeter go from pos battery terminal to engine ground.  Have someone turn over motor.  You should see @ a volt or two drop during crank. 

Go from neg battery terminal to POS on starter.  Should see same volt drop.  

The one test that drops the most will yield which terminal side has the short. 

I'd replace that starter as it's likely not helping your cause, I think it's a carriage bolt and it's likely becoming rounded.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, since the starter is out so the obvious is to replace it at this point. Is there any need to still do this test? Or is the terminal side on the selonoid?
    Thanks-
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the new starter has any issues turning over test for voltage drop