Options

Ouch

So, I've eventually been able to get the boat out of the water and into the mechanics lair.
And it's bad news all the way.
He started with "you need a new starter motor". OK, not so bad. But then came the really crap stuff.
A part of the drive has snapped, the drive trim doesn't work, the transom shield is leaking, the bilge pump keeps tripping, the sea water in the bilge was up to the engine and everything is rusty as ****, the exhaust manifolds and risers are knackered. And that's what he can see without removing the engine. He said, as he starts removing/opening up other parts, he may open a can of worms.
He said it will have to be a winter job as he's way too busy to do all the work now. 
So I've basically bought a pile of crap for £30K which is going to cost thousands of £'s to put right. 
Not happy.

Comments

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that @TickledPink. I would check around to find a mechanic that can get to it sooner. Had one of mine done last year and only took a couple of days to complete. I would expect to need a Y-pipe as well. Manifolds and risers pretty easy job to tackle on your own, especially with motor out, to save him some time and you some money
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch that's a lot of repairs. and most will be difficult to do it your self unless you have a way to get the motor out. I used a tree service guy once, he picked it out for me. $200.00 and back in
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, everything you've listed are wear items with a limited lifespan, especially in salt water. The only item that stands out is the snapped drive. That could be very expensive depending on what it is. Hopefully it is repairable.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @YYZRC he said it can be welded.