Options

faria fuel gauge

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
I have a 2005 Captiva 192 with a Merc 4.3 engine.  I have a Faria fuel gauge that floats between 1/4 and empty so I have no real way to tell how much fuel I have.  I have read thru some of the post on the forum but nothing seems to address fixing a faria gauge.  Is there any way to trouble shoot this gauge?  I have looked for youtube videos to help isolate the problem but I don't know how to access the sending unit.  

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever had an analog gauge that was perfectly accurate. Especially when you start getting past 1/2 tank. Seems the less in the tank, the less accurate they are.

Side note: My  rule of thumb is to always get gas at the 1/2 full mark (and never go below 1/3 tank). That way you're pretty much guaranteed to not run out of gas - and a lot less potential for tank debris to stir up when it's low. And of course the 1/3 there, 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve .
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I go by my mercury vessel view mobile. Seems better than my gauges. On my twin 75 gallon tanks usually within 5 gal when I fill up. Plus gives you error codes when they pop up, reminds you when you have service do and can replace the rest of your inaccurate Faria gauges
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    rkinross said:
    I have a 2005 Captiva 192 with a Merc 4.3 engine.  I have a Faria fuel gauge that floats between 1/4 and empty so I have no real way to tell how much fuel I have.  I have read thru some of the post on the forum but nothing seems to address fixing a faria gauge.  Is there any way to trouble shoot this gauge?  I have looked for youtube videos to help isolate the problem but I don't know how to access the sending unit.  

Is it the gauge or the sender? Briefly ground the wire and see if the gauge goes to full and if so its a sender issue.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/