Options

Power Steering Cooler - better than OEM?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Getting tired of replacing mercury junk parts.. the one that decided to show its head over the 4th of July weekend, today... is the power steering cooler sensor. 

Noticed I had a leak somewhere, went to track it down. Sure enough... here we go. Not sure why the picture is so huge.. anyway, anyone have a better than OEM replacement? Would rather not have to spend 250 on something that will fail in 5 years...  (what you see there is fluid film, not water.. because I sprayed it all over the place after rinsing the salt spray off gently with fresh water)

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    I used Mr Cool. Was happy with the price. I sold the boat less than a year after installing so cannot comment on longevity. 

Pretty sure it is salt water that circulates through the cooler. Maybe you could jury rig a way to get coolant through there instead?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was trying to find an old picture of mine I thought was on here....somehow the PO ended up with it broken and glued it back together with what looked like JB weld or something....I ended up replacing the cooler also- it is super soft thin brass and you don't want to breath on it wrong-
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why make it so thin and brass if it still doesnt last that long?!!? boat is down over 4th of july and my week of vacation!! 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only alternative I can think of would be entirely dependant on how much fresh air your engine hatch takes in. 

If it's sufficient enough you could set up an off road power steering cooler and 12" fan controlled with a temp probe.   Plenty of AN fittings and hoses available for SBC applications. 

I didn't come up with anything searching for a stainless cooler replacement.  

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they seldom have problems..I'm guessing a mechanic broke it and stuck it back together.n