Options

SS Prop or not?

My 216 has an Aluminum 3 blade 21 P Merc Prop. Engine is 5.0. I'm hitting 4800 RPM at WOT 52 MPH on the dash, not GPS. We do a lot of water sports and just plain cruising. Would a 21P 3 blade SS prop benefit me in any way? My WOT RPM's should be 4600-5000 rpm. I have a 4 blade  20 P Aluminum I didn't notice much difference with.Thanks, Sean
2012 Rinker BR216 5.0

Comments

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Stainless props are almost always a better choice - mainly due to less flex in the prop blades. Aluminum blades will flex under load and decrease the "bite" on the water whereas stainless prop blades flex very little under load giving you better performance. Also, stainless props will not ding as easily when you hit a random branch or chunk of wood - stuff we call "alligators". Down side is that stainless is much less forgiving on lower unit parts if you ground hard or hit something hard. I always use stainless.
  • Options
    KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Does the Hub give you much protection when using a SS prop?
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
  • Options
    KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    the theory around us is " if you play in a lake s/s will do the trick, but river stay with aluminum." the hub will help a little for banging into floating logs but for rocks or submerged barges.... not worth a dime... ask my lower end... had a s/s prop with the hub kit and $1800 later all better. as for blade count 3 blade will get more top end in the same pitch but a 4 blade will bite better, great for pulling tubes or skiers.

Our river is sand and mud and I always follow the channel. My only worry would be submerged logs and then the prop would be the least of my worries. I noticed very little difference in 3 vs. 4 blade prop. Maybe a little better bite while turning quickly. Thanks Floater

2012 Rinker BR216 5.0