Options

New AC, no raw water intake needed.

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the second year in a row, our water seems to be be too "hot" for my marin air (built in miami of all places) to run. Yes I've already run cleaner through it, the water does fill the bucket in the amount of time. It just seems like they put a safeguard in this model that just is too "safe" and it senses the high pressure side as having too much pressure and shuts off. Meanwhile if you flip the breaker it'll run for 5 mins no problem over and over. 

The unit is 2 or 3 years old and I've always not liked having a water line running. 

Of course you can always buy a portable unit, but they are huge and require tubing to a window or something.

And then I came across this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C339STSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going to try it out in a temporary position up front for a while, but.... there's an access panel under the captains seat on the 270... I'm wondering if the intake and exhaust hoses could be routed up that way (or if need be back towards the Engine room or pretty much anywhere else that can grab fresh air and then we just use this one in the marine compressors place. 

It would be no problem at all to 3d print some kind of funnel that then could be connected to the already existing hose. The water that the unit would produce could even be routed though the same drain that's already there. 

here's another one, both within 100 dollars of each other. 

https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Portable-Conditioner-Conditioning/dp/B0C9CMVLTS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VMRNOVEDWSV7&keywords=ECOFLOW+wave+2&qid=1688434004&sprefix=ecoflow+wave+2,aps,110&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.765d4786-5719-48b9-b588-eab9385652d5

Thoughts? 

Comments

• Options
    Another positive, which I suppose would need to be verified, is that you can run both of these for eight hours on batteries. At least that's the claim.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your water temps?   I've not had an issue at all keeping my ac at 70 degrees with 80 to 88 degree water temps.  Daytime temps in the upper 80s to 90s.  Night temps in  60s to 70s.  I did have to step up to near double the AC size that was recommended to me, I'm running a 12.5 k unit.   

I don't know what the humidity is here but it's insane 

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Keep us posted if you do this. I saw the EcoFlow models being hawked in the middle of the night on QVC or HSN and did some preliminary research. My daughter is always complaining how hot her bedroom is and we thought this might work to supplement the house A/C - but we didn't get it because of the price and the ducting needs.
  • Options
    What's your water temps?   I've not had an issue at all keeping my ac at 70 degrees with 80 to 88 degree water temps.  Daytime temps in the upper 80s to 90s.  Night temps in  60s to 70s.  I did have to step up to near double the AC size that was recommended to me, I'm running a 12.5 k unit.   

I don't know what the humidity is here but it's insane 

today at the end of the day, at the bottom of the boat.. 2ft down or so, it was 90.7. 

Same thing last year, approaching 91/92 and no cooling.

Looking forward to getting this all installed, I'd leave it on 24/7 if it doesn't need water running. 
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    Keep us posted if you do this. I saw the EcoFlow models being hawked in the middle of the night on QVC or HSN and did some preliminary research. My daughter is always complaining how hot her bedroom is and we thought this might work to supplement the house A/C - but we didn't get it because of the price and the ducting needs.

Will do. I ordered both. Even though the eco flow is 5100 BTU vs the other one being 6000, I think the app integration is going to have the eco flow win. Also it's up in the air if either one will fit in the space the 270 uses for the ac. 

Currently the marin air unit is 

17.5w 11d 10h

Ecoflow 2 is 
    20"D x 13"W x 12"H

The PA600 is
    18.7"D x 11.61"W x 15.94"H

Looks like it'll be close. Suppose it doesn't HAVE to go where the built in AC is.. but it would just be cool if it could be hidden. I pretty much only use the app to control the marin air one as it is.. 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    edited July 2023
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like a pipe dream to me. 

All air coolers create heat as they remove heat.  One way or another, you need to remove that heat from the space you are cooling.  This system uses an exhaust air duct, which is a horribly inefficient process.  There's no way it can work as well as normal marine systems that use water to remove heat.  
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    JEFF,  What is the brand of your marine A/C?.  I am looking to replace my unit, But the only one I can find in my local stores in miami  it is the CTM new brand and I don't know how good there are. I would like to buy a dometic, but it is impossible to find a dometic 16000 btu for 110 volt a/c online.
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    JEFF,  What is the brand of your marine A/C?.  I am looking to replace my unit, But the only one I can find in my local stores in miami  it is the CTM new brand and I don't know how good there are. I would like to buy a dometic, but it is impossible to find a dometic 16000 btu for 110 volt a/c online.
    Hey Oscar, it's a "Marin air" brand - company is in Miami. It did this last year as well, and has been cleaned twice since then, one while in the water and one while it was out of the water. Works fine and the water GPH is fine as well. Avoid at all costs. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like a pipe dream to me. 

All air coolers create heat as they remove heat.  One way or another, you need to remove that heat from the space you are cooling.  This system uses an exhaust air duct, which is a horribly inefficient process.  There's no way it can work as well as normal marine systems that use water to remove heat.  
    It's just like any portable AC, however it's much smaller. 

The current system on the boat is 6000 btu and it does a great job. In this case it will pull fresh air for the compressor from up top somewhere and exhaust it back out that way, will work that out when it gets here. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oscar1 said:
    @oscar1 I went with a Dometic Turbo 16k with sound shield. I am very very happy. Did you try calling the same people you got your fridge from?

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    What size ac is in your boat?    The description you described is identical to the issue I had when I was trying to cool with an undersized AC.  As soon as the compressor freezes it would trip the breaker.  The AC could never achieve desired temp so it would never cycle off.   

I thought the 12.5k BTU unit I installed was on the excessive side but after further reading many owners with the same size boat run 16k for the cabin and another 9-12k for an enclosed helm (Alaskan bulkhead)

• Options
    YYZRC :smile:

I check their  web page and they don't have any marine A/C and i also check great lake skipper and their unit are 220 volt. I may have to call a local dealer to see if they want to order one for myself.

• Options
    J3ff said:
    oscar1 said:
    Hey Oscar, it's a "Marin air" brand - company is in Miami. It did this last year as well, and has been cleaned twice since then, one while in the water and one while it was out of the water. Works fine and the water GPH is fine as well. Avoid at all costs. 
    Thank you. I WILL avoid them. 
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    I check their  web page and they don't have any marine A/C and i also check great lake skipper and their unit are 220 volt. I may have to call a local dealer to see if they want to order one for myself.
    I ordered from a local dealer in August of last year and it showed up in February. I think the turbo model isn’t very popular. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    oscar1 said:
    I got mine from West Marine, the 16000 BTU Dometic is common.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    oscar1 said:
    @oscar1 I went with a Dometic Turbo 16k with sound shield. I am very very happy. Did you try calling the same people you got your fridge from?

Do you know what size of cable from the 115 volt and breaker do you have in your boat for the 16000 btu?
  • Options
    @oscar1 I am almost certain it is 10/3 but I will double check when I am there tomorrow. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @oscar1 I am almost certain it is 10/3 but I will double check when I am there tomorrow. 
    Appreciate
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Do you mind letting me know what model of seawater pump you have install in your A/C system. My is model 334050 from domestic and I am not sure it will be enough for a 16000 unit. Thx
  • Options
    @oscar1 my pump is a PML500L and the cable looks like 12/3 but I can’t get enough out of the loom to get to the printing on the casing. It’s for sure bigger than 14/3 and not as big as the 10/3 that runs to my inverter. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @oscar1 my pump is a PML500L and the cable looks like 12/3 but I can’t get enough out of the loom to get to the printing on the casing. It’s for sure bigger than 14/3 and not as big as the 10/3 that runs to my inverter. 
    I really Appreciated.  I am thinking getting the 16000 btu from dometic. I have a quote for the (DTG 16000 btu ) from a local dealer for $2960 for it. But I am not sure if the 16000 btu will be over kill for my 310. I also got a quote for a 12000 btu a/c for $2800. The prices between both are not too different it. 
  • Options
    YYZRC:  
    Do you know how the electrical for the A/C is install in out boat, I have a plug for the a/c from short power, an a/c breaker at the 110 volt panel,  but i don't have any clue how it should be be install. I am going to see if i can traces the cables next week.
  • Options
    I went backwards from 18k to 16k and no issues. I would have got a bigger unit if I could have!!

Not sure what your question is about how to install? It was a very simple remove and replace in my case. No extra parts needed and it used the original pump and thermostat. 
  • Options
    Going oversized in Miami would be a no brainier.    

I'm running 12k in a slightly smaller boat.   I'd have gone with 16k if it wasn't for the amp demand. 

• Options
    I think two units would be the right call. One in the vee and one at the aft. Especially with the dark hull absorbing heat all day long and then radiating it back at night. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    All I'm saying is it's chilly on this boat right now!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    so the key here is to have the unit in a separate compartment... and pumping the cold air into the cabin (just like the built in ac in your boat) .. if I put it INSIDE and then have the two hoses pulling air in and pushing it back out, then it's not as good, but with the unit outside and a hose blowing air into the cabin, it's just as good as the regular AC.. in a perfect world you'd have it pulling air from the cabin, cooling it off and then pushing it back in too. That can be done with this model, I just haven't put the effort into it yet. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ok, the verdict is in.

It does work, it keeps the temps nice and comfortable, NOT ICE cold like the built in AC does. However, it's good enough for sure. 

However, as I said above, it only does this if you put the unit outside and pipe the air in and then pipe the air back out to it as well.

So at that point you are just as good (and possibly better, more to come on that) in buying a 6k btu window shaker and doing the exact same thing. 

Although this thing is amazingly light, quiet and portable. 

If it was 400-500 bucks instead of 980 (after taxes) I'd prob keep it. However right now the "utility" just isn't worth the up charge. Going to get a 6k window unit, 3d print some adapters for a regular drier hose duct size and call it a day. Hopefully the water temps stay under 90 in the canal, as it has this entire weekend (of course!)

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Why not embrace the key-billy "get'er done" local energy, make a front hatch adapter out of cardboard and duct tape????

I'd be worried most about the AC housing rusting and the condensation leaving a nice rust stain anywhere it sits on the boat.  
  • Options
    Why not embrace the key-billy "get'er done" local energy, make a front hatch adapter out of cardboard and duct tape????

I'd be worried most about the AC housing rusting and the condensation leaving a nice rust stain anywhere it sits on the boat.  
    too annoying to remove everytime.. Also, only need it when the water is too hot, plan is to just use it on the weekends, if needed.