Options

Bypass/Eliminate Fresh Water Tank

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been thinking about this for a while. 

It annoys me to haul around a heavy tank of fresh water, but anchoring out for several days at a time gives me fresh water anxiety so I usually keep it full. 

I would like to install a filtration system so that I can draw water from the lake on demand. Thinking a great setup would include a particulate filter, charcoal and UV. This is the best I have seen so far but it is only 1 GPM and I think 2 would be ideal.

https://waterstoremidland.com/products/viqua-1-gpm-uv-tap-water-filtration-system-vt1-dws-12/

Has anyone tackled this?
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Last year in Georgian Bay at anchor I put together a 120V sump pump and an RV Filter and drew water from a 2' depth. Had to run the Genset to power it but had no problem with the water quality for general use. We always carry a large spring water bottle for drinking water. Did not notice any taste difference with the ice cubes from the icemaker. Not sure I would use it in some inland lakes.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Grahamu - my concern is the tannins in the water. Perhaps the more viable approach is to run with a small freshwater tank and a reverse osmosis setup to keep it topped up.  
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Interview with water guy located in midland On. About system used up in your neck of the woods
    https://youtu.be/VIZG0quoNBM

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Charter boats in the Caribbean are often fitted with reverse osmosis systems that pull from the sea and put clean water in to the FW tank. They are very slow so they are left on while at anchor or while running so you’re not using them on demand. I’d think using the filter to fill your tank is the way to go. If it’s not clean enough for the tank I wouldn’t want it running through my faucets. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)