Options

Corrosion on Alternator cable

pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
For the longest time I have had an issue of my starboard battery voltage being lower then port.  I did some digging around at the terminals and found corrosion on the alternator positive cable.  Lucky enough there is enough cable for me cut and add a new terminal.   Hopefully this solves my issue. I plan on doing the same on the port side. 

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    I can't tell from the pics if you've applied it or not but dielectric grease is great for preventing corrosion on all your electrical connections.   Just don't apply more than you need as it can drip when it gets hot, getting on stuff that doesn't need to be greased.  I'm not sure they do that from the factory, really should 
  • Options
    I can't tell from the pics if you've applied it or not but dielectric grease is great for preventing corrosion on all your electrical connections.   Just don't apply more than you need as it can drip when it gets hot, getting on stuff that doesn't need to be greased.  I'm not sure they do that from the factory, really should 
    the photo is the old terminal.   I have not replaced yet.  Waiting for my terminals and crimper to arrive.  I will report back afterwards.  Hopefully this cures my charging issue.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check your connections at the charging breakers (at the DC panel behind the transom door)? I had the same issue and it was a loose nut on the breaker. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Did you check your connections at the charging breakers (at the DC panel behind the transom door)? I had the same issue and it was a loose nut on the breaker. 
    Yes I checked them before.  Hopefully eliminating this corrosion section on the cable between alternator and isolator will help.  
    This project is also forcing me to install my two victron fet isolators that I have been putting of for months.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    I recommend swapping alternators between the engines. Easy way to see if maybe you just have a weak alternator. I did and I replaced both. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay