Options

Worst storm on anchor

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
edited July 2023 in Generator Discussions
So, I think the topic name describes it well, but what is the worst storm you survived while out on your anchor?

For many years I had a crazy story how 3 of us rode on basically my stern anchor on the backside of still pond (started on two stern, but the smalll one got so tight it some projected itself and landed in front of our boats without hitting them).
Well, this past week topped my 24 years of boating.  We were on our 10 day trip this past week and last Monday we were in one of our favorite gunk holes that happened to be one of the best to ride out storms too.  It was about 7pm and has us, a 390, and a 370 ridin on my 100 feet of chain in 7 feet of water.  We were surrounded pretty well by land, maybe a diameter of 600 feet, that has a nice sandy point at its entrance.  Only one other boat, a sailboat, that was in the area.
We just started cooking some dinner and the admiral’s phone gets an alert for 80 mph winds.  I let everyone know to buckle down and pause on dinner. Well it his us immediately with hard winds and rain.  It got to the point that rain start blowing in under our front canvas.  Then I could no longer see my bow flag.  The wind seemed to continue and probably after about 30 minutes, it began to hail too.  Leaves and hail started to also come under the front isenglass.  Then, the hail punctured our front isenglass.  I started my engines just in case I needed them, but I couldn’t see anything enough to try to put them in gear to ease on my anchor.  So I felt helpless.  Here is a pic from the 370 tied on us.  Anchor was nice and tight.  You also see the bridle that is tied to my cleats.

Well, that was just the beginning.  We then broke loose.

And the next few minutes seemed like eternity!  We spun and I was very scared.  Not sure whether to raise my drives or try to see them.  But I couldn’t see my bow flag still. At this point the entire cockpit area was wet and I was wondering if we were still safe in it.  As we swung, it didn’t seem like the anchor could catch except maybe enough to make us swing in a circle.  All of sudden it felt like we hit, which our bow was on leeward side allowing me to see a little thru the windshield.  The 370 tied on our port hit land first and we pivoted pushing our bow forward onto the beach.  I then gave a little throttle forward for maybe a half minute.  I then figured it really didn’t matter.  Wind was still severe, like still 80 mph!  I was able to keep an eye on a small bush on shore.  About 20 minutes later, the wind changed direction and we started to leave the beach.  I told both boats to drop anchor.  The 390 did but the 370 had his tied to the cleat in his bow.  About 10 minutes later we were thru the worst.  We could see the sailboat behind us, and he definitely moved off his anchor as well.  He said at one point he was in full reverse as his bow was aiming towards “the side of the blue hull”, which is the 399 tied on my stbd side.
We reset our anchor and had dinner, it was after 10pm.  It was one of the tastiest dinners!  Next day I just hoped everything ran ok and it did. 

One thing I learned, it was always smart to double tie the stern lines together in a raft up.  A one inch line from the 390 broke. ( I’ll have to update with a pic) This was the premade loop that pulled apart.  I could not imagine if we had not double tied back.  Our sterns would have broken apart mid storm.  I now plan to tie the bows with two lines.  And if just loop back around that does nothing.  You have to tie at each point.
 Here are some pics at our next destination about 10 miles up river, Tilghman island, the next day. We heard stories from people there about a water spout and a tornado.

Note the SUP that some how hit the jack hard enough to push it up thru the middle of it.

We did enjoy a couple nice sunsets and moonrise too at our destination…

oh, and then a couple days later, I just got on plane and my blade came off my prop.  Hmm, did it get stressed in storm, even though the boat rode fine for 20 minutes on plane to our previous destination after the storm?
Hope you enjoyed my story, now let’s hear yours.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Holy smokes!  Not many stories will top that one!  Glad you made it through the storm.  That few minutes of warning probably saved you and your crew a lot of grief.  
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Egad! Glad you kept your **** together.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epic story, glad you and friends came out ok! I am antsy when anchored in calm seas!! 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to top that one unless pirates are involved...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Thanks guys!  I definitely don't want to experience anything close to that one again.  I actually didn't take the warning of 80mph too seriously besides just knowing something was coming (just being honest, but I won't do that again).  Looking back, not sure I could've done much different in that short of time either.

....but, I'm sure there are some good stories out there, you all have been boating for a long time as well.  Not everyone can race home when a storm is coming.  I'd even like to hear of good tips.  The sailboat told me I should've had stern line out and then more bow anchors.  But he lost his as well with just him on it and all chain.   I feel like being able to rotate with the wind is best because we have a lot of freeboard and also the 3-4 ft waves (yes, hard to believe in that tight of space) would've hit on the side too.  Thoughts on that?  I guess if I had maybe known for sure which way the wind was coming from, then faced the bow towards it and put 2 more bow anchors and a stern or two out (we had 3 sterns available, one almost 4 ft tall), that would've been better.  But the wind did change as well.  The 370 rode with black canvas on instead of isenglass.  I have done that many times.  He said he would never do it again because he was helpless.  He also said he would always have his bow anchor ready when tied up. Oh, and that black canvas ripped as well.
    Post edited by Dream_Inn on

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only had bad luck with my stern anchor. I don’t even use it anymore because even the slightest change in the wind and the boat is a giant sail when broadside to the wind. I had two bad experiences with this and never again. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    This is the worst we were in, was a few years ago. Strong wind (probably 50-60 mph) torrential downpour with thunder and lightning. This was on our old 242 with my cousins 24 SR tied up to us. Luckily the anchor held and no issues.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn , glad you guys came out okay!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Years ago, a close friend of mine got caught in a mean squall in that caused major damage -- through no fault of his own. 

This is a story of "on any given Sunday."  Some things are outside your control.  

His 44 Sundancer was rafted up with some other big boats, and they all went ashore for lunch at a restaurant that provides shuttle service.  The restaurant shuttle was just a pontoon boat, so once the storm blew up, they could do nothing but watch and wait.  No worries -- as an experienced boater, he had put out all of his chain and a good bit of rope, and there was no real danger ...

Except for the smaller boat anchored upwind of them. 

That captain wasn't good at anchoring.  She dragged anchor, and handled it poorly.  Their anchor lines got fouled.  She freaked out and did the unthinkable:  she cut my friend's anchor line, sending four beautiful huge boats onto the rocks and doing extensive damage.  Then -- she just went home!  

Semi-happy ending.  She was eventually held accountable because she blabbed on social media, and my friends saw it.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend nearly every summer weekends on the hook. Your 80mph winds are beyond anything I've seen. We've slept through storms that ripped through near by campgrounds, ripping off awnings and sending ez ups into lower orbit.  We've slept under lighting storms so intense you could read under the tinted front hatch in the middle of the night.  60 mph is about the fastest documented wind speed we've endured.   Much of these storms were in the sailboat before we went to power boats.   

I'm glad you made it out ok.  We do not raft up to anyone, that has to make it twice as concerning.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    I was beach anchored, bow in on a sandy beach on Lake Powell about 4 years ago when a microburst hit.  We had about a 1 minute warning, and I was frantically trying to pull the fabric off our 12x12 commercial grade EZ UP shade.   I had four, 5 gallon buckets full of water being used as hold down stakes, and when the burst hit, it folded that frame over promptly.  What it also did was knock my wife down, and the frame was sorta wadded up.  I screamed at the kids to get back, and was trying to rip the fabric off because it was a sail.  A second burst hit, and it completely flipped the frame, and threw my wife like a ragdoll.  I ran over and she wasn't hurt, but obviously shaken up!   The wind drug that EZ up into the lake, and eventually the fabric got enough into the water it settled down.  In the craziness of all of that, it ripped my front bow anchor, and the two stern ones angled out right outta the beach.  The wind left almost as quickly as it arrived, and I only had to swim 50 feet to retrieve the boat.   
    That same storm completely FLIPPED a 75 foot Houseboat on it's side, and crushed and amputated a woman's arm.   Mother nature doesn't mess around!!!!!!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I was in CT we had a microburst come through as well.. 

I wanted to stay anchored and just double down on the anchors, the group, mainly the mothers, wanted us IN and in NOW.

There's no arguing with them, I may be the captain but I'm not going to argue with a bunch of mama bears..

It was immediately clear that I was in the right, but whatever....

Darkest clouds I've ever seen in the middle of the day.

And then, we at least got some video.. it was longer, but too many bad words in it ha ha.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HhXn-ggTKRQ
  • Options
    I'm glad you made it out ok.  We do not raft up to anyone, that has to make it twice as concerning.
    I tell you what, I am concerned at times about tying up with other boats because of the storms and weights of the all the boats combined.  

Wow, I knew there are more stories out there.  Those microbursts sound like something that would be tough to deal with since they can come up so quickly.  Flipping houseboats is just something you wouldn't think could happen!

Glad that lady had to pay for the 4 boats.  Sometimes it does not matter what you do, you are at the mercy of those around you.  I know during the same night as mine, parts of this storm hit some other areas around fireworks time.  My buddy told me about how some boats let loose in an anchorage and some of the crazy dumb things they saw happen.  

• Options
  • Options
    aero3113 said:

Wow!  that looks like it was taken more on the side or stern.  Fortunately for us, most was on the bow and then some was on the stern while on the beach.  I think on the side would've been horrible!

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Yes, @Dream_Inn my stern is facing south, the wind was a west wind on port side.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    We have them in florida around summertime too and are terrifying..
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    wow @Dream_Inn, reading your ordeal was giving me anxiety,  If that happened to my wife and I , there would be a for sale sign on the boat the next day. Good job keeping your $ht together through that.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Sorry, not at anchor but we just had this storm tonight at Tybee Island. Went to dinner at The Crab Shack, highly recommend! This storm is one of the best I’ve seen, went on for over an hour! Video doesn’t do it any justice…. At one point the wind started to pick up but luckily it didn’t get above 35-40mph. Felt like we were on a movie set!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KhzoT7eCKsk&feature=sharec
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't experienced coastal storms until you ride one out in a pop up camper with no AC, in a beach front campground!   The 80's were fun
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You remember the 80's?? All a blur to me....😉🍺
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I was looking for another imoge..