Options

Weathering a large oil spill in the bilge

echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
So, one of my 5.7 VP oil filter loop hoses started leaking and when under pressure, it dumped close to a gallon of oil into the bilge before I caught it (engine is ok). Hoses are replaced. 
To clean, I:
1. Dropped 2 boom absorbing socks into the middle and poked them with a stick constantly. 
2. Disabled the bilge pump
3. Dumped half gallon of oil-dissolving bilge cleaner
4. Next day, used a sacrificial el-cheapo shop vac to suck out the bulk of it, filling a 5 gallon bucket with the mess and funneling it into gallon jugs. I had a fire extinguisher at the ready just in case. 
5. Disposed of socks in double trash bags (probably not the right thing to do, but …..)
6. Repeat of hose water and a cup of bilge cleaner followed by shop vac. 5x
7. wipe bilge with 3M pad best I could
8. repeat step 6 2x
9. Re-enabled bilge pump and dumped a ton of water in. 

Although there was a bit of an oil sheen in the water, it wasn’t too bad and dissipated quickly due to the oil dissolver. 

18 Oil/water jugs went to county hazmat drop off for disposal. 
Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭

Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    holy....sounds like you did your best with situation.

I had an oil sensor go bad last season, leaked oil - but not a gallon.

In the fall, as a final clean - just before haul out pour a couple 5 gal buckets of warm water & a bunch of Dawn soap. Let it sit. Then drain plug it out.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a line go on me the night before the hauler was picking me up. Had some lines made up at a hydraulic shop the next day and I was good to launch. I’m happy it happened at home on the hard at idle and not up on plane in the middle of the bay. Wasn’t fun to clean up, but at least I was able to remove the drain plug and drain it out. I’ve since replaced the blue lines with OEM and have them as a spare.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I’m go a go out on a limb but I would trust the blue hydraulic hoses over the metal tube looking ones that you replaced, especially if they were done by Moreland Hose in Oakdale 
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Rich_ said:
    I’m go a go out on a limb but I would trust the blue hydraulic hoses over the metal tube looking ones that you replaced, especially if they were done by Moreland Hose in Oakdale 
    I agree and they were done by Moreland hose. The reason why I changed them was because if one of them did fail and I blew the engine, what would insurance say? Would they say the engine was modified and not cover it?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Insurance claim would be up to the adjuster, but replacing a failed part with an upgraded part should not void anything. There is probably something in the Moss-Magnuson act that would cover a hose change as acceptable maintenance, but I am not a lawyer
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY