Options

What size trailer

I am looking to buy a trailer for my 2008 rinker 330. Dry weight is 14100. With fuel and other gear, I assume I should e looking at a 18000 lbs trailer? Comments please?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on how much and how far you travel is a good start. A triple axle might be in your future...then what are you towing with?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bmaxbmax Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I tow my 310 on a Venture aluminum triple axle trailer, it has 3-7000 lb axles and a gross weight of 21,000 lbs. Then you have to deduct the trailer weight, dry weight of the boat, fuel, water and possible full sewage tank and gear. My boat is 12,100 dry and I have a bit of wiggle room after all the deductions. It is surprising if you put your loaded boat on a scale on how much stuff you have been able to cram on it!! Full fuel and water can be in the 1200 to 1500 lb range trailer can be 2000 to 3000 lbs and gear can be a lot. I doubt an 18000 lb gross weight trailer will be enough.

bmax
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    salt or fresh water? 

if fresh, you may be able to find a steel trailer on the cheap from somebody who is moving to aluminun.. that would be good, no?  i wouldnt even consider a steel if salt is your drink.. 

look for one that uses torsion bar suspeon.t is a lot less troublesome than leaves.. for the love of all that is holy, get electric or electric assist hydraulic brakes, and not a surge activated brake system.. 

led is a nice move too... those bulbs like to blow, while quality diodes will last longer than the trailer.. as Al mentioned, bunks not rollers... i would also consider one that gives you wiggle room both weight and weight distribution- which can mean a longer toungue; but not so much you load up the toungue weight, which means three axles... three axles will also require smaller wheels/tires than a single or double, which is good for height, which comes into play at the ramp, but also on the road keeping your profile a tad lower.. 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh, torsion bars also allow your profile to remain lower and drive more than a little mild mannered than leaves..