Options

Hookah Scuba Setup - Anyone?

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
We love spending time in the water and recently I have been reading up on hookah scuba setups. I think it could be a fun way to explore around the boat when we are anchored in shallow water. 

I was contemplating a used scuba tank and 50’ of hose. Some rigs run on an air compressor but that seems a bit intense. My only concern with the tank is finding someone to fill it as I am not scuba certified. 

Anyone have any expertise in this area? 
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC have you seen these? https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT88gKKrb/ they look fun. The water around me would render it useless so I just have a fairly cheap snorkeling mask.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @davidbrooks originally it was my plan to go with those, but apparently it takes 30+ minutes to pump it up with the hand pump for around 15 minutes of air. It didn't seem reasonable to me. I would need to spring for the high pressure air compressor (around $500) to fill them myself.
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I wish I had my scuba gear with me this past trip. New anchor got the chain wrapped around a mooring weight. Luckily another boat tied to the guy who ran my anchor out had gear and was able to unshackle the Fortress and the rode, but the chain was too much for him to undo.
    Compressor with regulators are fun to play around the shallows with.
    Get certified.  It’s not that hard and you can do the course work online. The dive centers have made it much more recreational than the old days where they would secretly turn your air off just to see what you would do. You will learn a good amount and it will be much safer. 
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Thanks @Rich_

I did take a scuba lesson many years ago but my ears won't let me go much deeper than 10' and all the equipment is cumbersome as ****. I love the hookah idea for it's simplicity and I think my little guy would get a kick out of it.

There's a dive shop near where I keep the boat; I will pay them a visit and see what my options are.
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    The ear trick is to equalize early and often. The biggest thing when underwater while using any air source (hooka/tank etc)- never hold your breath. A travel BCD does not take up much space and can get a small tank for the boat.  Fins and mask I carry onboard everywhere
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY