Options

Tips on selling a boat

Hello I have 2008 rinker 330 in excellent shape. Boat is fully loaded and has 180 hrs. I have had many lookers and no deals. We don't use the bat so I would really like to sell. I also have a very nice aluminum bottom tender with 8 hp engine and a custom storage cradle. Boat is priced at 95000 which is by far the best price in my region and in the. Country ( I am in Canada). Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    broker the sale.... boatfinder.com, yachtworld.com, ect... find a shipper and advertise freighting... good luck!! 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're dreaming if you think the Keystone XL means lower fuel prices. That oil is for export. The US is a net exporter of gasoline, goes to the highest bidder on the world market. Jobs are the opposite: go to the lowest bidder, it's a race to the bottom.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rocketman is in our attic... Economy is pretty good up there.. the widening gap in the basement, here, is such that those in position to buy a boat of that size are likely in position to buy new...

The disappearing middle class is scared right now, and clutching their purses.. on elevators.. and locking their car doors..
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

A point of reference.....2008 330EC's in Ontario are being listed in the $115k to $130k range.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your price is too low, scaring people... I have no idea.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    rocketman

I feel your pain. is it that you dont use the boat or the history you had with your boat? is the admiral putting pressure on selling the boat? mine did for the 1st year of pain we went through. now she loves the boat.... the understanding comes from knowing upfront that big toys cost big coin. another way to look at the expense of owning a great boat like you have is once the gremlins are gone you are buying great memories to reflect on moving forward.

good luck
  • Options
    RocketmanRocketman Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the comments. My price is well below market. I think the main issue is that where I am located, the market is very small. Also I think people believe it's a big deal to ship a boat. From my house to Ontario or north eastern us would only be $3000. My kids have on interest in the boat and it sits most of the season. Any other thoughts let me know.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd almost worry about pricing too low might infer something is wrong. Market price and 'motivated' seller could help. You could list shipping fees to a few places to take that edge off.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

Hey Rocketman - I'd list the shipping fees. I was looking at an EC 360 - 700 miles from where I live and speculated to the dealer that I figured I'd have to factor in about 4 K for the transport. He told me I figured wrong and that it could be done for about 2K. So you are probably right that most people think it would be too expensive and too hard to arrange - when it isn't at all. What about contacting a broker in Ontario? There are a ton of Rinkers here and the boat brand is well known. I have no idea of the process but you could call my marina, Len's Cove, I think this number is toll free 1-888 -272-2581 and ask for Bruce Rice.Tell him MT sent you. What have you got to lose? Good Luck! MT

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Why don't you increase your price to include shipping? Say put in $4000 of allowance for shipping included and if they are closer you can negotiate this down.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Great idea Mark! MT
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Another idea knowing you come to the 1000 islands every summer where you originally bought the boat. Ship it there, or travell down the St Lawrence next spring and get a slip at a marina like Gananoque. Advertise it and show it off and I'm sure someone will buy it.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    .....and that's why they pay you the big bucks ODNT! MT