Options

Engine rust

I heard that Rolls Royce clean their engines with Coke. Has anyone tried this on their boat engine? 🙄

Comments

• Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Break out a wire brush and hit anything loose. Spray matching spray paint and do it again next year
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coke does eat corrosion 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Haven't tried using Coke.  I used a wire brush and POR-15 when I did the engine room reno.  That stuff works as advertised.  
  • Options
    POR is amazing stuff.  I've wondered how well it would work on aluminum fuel tanks for preventing corrosion.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a really expensive way to deal with rust. Might be cheaper to replace the motor.
  • Options
    Ever use coke on battery terminals?
  • Options
    TickledPinkTickledPink Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    POR is mega expensive but it does what it says on the tin so is it worth every penny?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Yes, POR is expensive.  Also, once you open the can, you can't store the leftovers.  That's why they offer those really small cans.  But it works -- stops corrosion and looks great.  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Also, once you open the can, you can't store the leftovers.  That's why they offer those really small cans.
    I've had pretty good success saving leftovers by putting a layer of Saran wrap on the top of the can before putting the lid back on - and making sure the lid and lip are fairly clean. Keeps the lid from sealing itself to the can. Lets me get two or three uses from a small can.
  • Options
    POR is mega expensive but it does what it says on the tin so is it worth every penny?
    Got to be cheaper than coke!
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Got to be cheaper than coke!
         Coke is free when you find it floating off the coast of the keys.
  • Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Tip: use diet so it doesn’t get sticky. I cleaned up some chrome wheels with coke back in my high school days and it works. It’s the phosphoric acid that dissolves the rust. Makes you wonder what it’s doing to your insides. That’s why I stick to water and beer, wine or liquor :)
  • Options
    Yea, never a big coke drinker...
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I've never had the need to purchase feminine products, like diet soda.  But it's one I'll definitely remember 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coke contains carbonic acid, like many soft drinks.  The carbon dioxide they inject to make it fizzy, reacts with water to make carbonic acid.  It is in fact an issue in the ocean, with respects to coral reefs ... as CO2 increases in the atmosphere, it reacts with ocean water to make carbonic acid, ever so slightly decreasing the pH of the water, to make is a bit more corrosive, which damages coral reefs.  In pop, that carbonic acid is a much higher concentration ... so it will corrode certain scale and even some metals.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    MarkB said:
    In pop, that carbonic acid is a much higher concentration ... so it will corrode certain scale and even some metals.
    I love it!  I haven't heard anyone call it pop in a long time.  (I moved from OH to MD about 30 years ago).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thank you Mr wizard!!!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    All that Coke, and Hunter Biden has a CLEAN record still.  It must really work wonders  :D
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Old funny comment- “l don’t do coke, I just like the way it smells”
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    So, all heard I'm sure that the investigator that has been delving into hunter Biden was appointed special concil to investigate further, after 5 years of investigation to come up with a gun charge and tax evasion. Perhaps this will put an end to it. I'm sure they will look at jarred and Ivanka walking away with 2 billion from the Saudi government next...
  • Options
    Hunter smokes crack...no way the coke is his unless he has a very generous buddy in DC