Options

Anyone ever owned a jetboat

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
So I sold my Rinker and shopping for my next boat. Going smaller. Something in the 24-28 ft range. I really love the 25ft Chris-Craft Corsair. Just not sure I can afford it. I keep seeing quite a fèw Yamaha and SeaDoo boats out there. Most have two small engines. How are these boats on maneuverability around the dock? Maintenance?
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T has (or had) a Yamaha that he spoke highly of.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a 15’ sea doo, kind of a starter jet boat, and we have our eye out for a 23-24’ Yamaha. Have friends with one and it’s a great boat. 10 of us jump on it and head to an island or bar and it performs awesome, very impressive. Only thing we don’t like is the wake is huge, would not be the best ski boat.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Friend has had one for 10 years & had no issues. they are looking to buy a new one soon.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    What do you do for normal maintenance?
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Fresh water can be ok.  Salt water, unless trailered, high and dry rack, or on a lift, not ideal. 
    I had a twin engine Seadoo Challenger 1800. While it was fun while I had it, it was not great in chop (cavitation) and a lack of rudder could really be felt if taking anyone skiing that could carve hard turns. The newer 4 stroke engines might be better, but the Rotax were noisy and vibrated the whole boat with that distinctive “jet ski drone”. Smooth water cruising and playing around was fun, but I sold that boat within 6 months. 
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Thanks Rich. That is one of my concerns. I live right off of the Chesapeake Bay so very calm days are very rare. Whatever I get needs to handle some level of chop.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    Neighbors have a Yamaha twin engine boat.  It's loud, and rides rough in the chop.  Other then that, it's a nice boat.  
    Not the most fuel efficient on gas either
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    New jet boats have come along way from the earlier models in terms of handling & noise.
    Ride quality will vary depending on size of boat you are looking at. New 22' - 25' boats are going to ride amazing compared to older smaller models.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    You definitely have to change the oil every year in the Yamaha 4 strokes. There is likely some kind of a jet pump lube and shaft grease that needs done but I don’t know that for sure. Anodes for sure if you wet slip.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)