Options

Skeg guards

Does anyone use a skeg guard? What the general opinion? 

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skeg guards to me are only a fix for a broken skeg as they help the boat steer.  I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in an undamaged skeg. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @PickleRick - to me, a skeg guard is installed by someone who was too cheap to have a new skeg welded on. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your skeg isn’t broken, I wouldn’t drill into it. I would think they weaken the skeg if it’s drilled. I had a skeg break on me once while anchored with my 242. A boat came by and made a big wake causing my boat to bounce, I had the drive all the way up too. In the fall when the boat came out, I had a welder come to my house and weld on a new one. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I have mixed feelings on this. During the pandemic the yard mechanics took my lower unit and destroyed it having a new skeg welded on. Took 6 months to get all the parts together to put humpty back together. Of course this is south Florida and it's a crap shoot whenever you need work done. These guys came highly recommended.  I might lean towards the bolt on if I had to do it again

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate anyone working on our boat..always think they know more than me- and that's not hard- and mostly disapointed..