Options

Replacing Perko Fuel Fill Ports - has anyone done this?

echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hello, so after getting close to 30 gallons of water out of my tanks on my 05 360, the culprit being bad gaskets and a known flaw in their flush-mount ports, I have 2 new ones ready to install along with the plastic offset pieces that will allow water to rain-gutter around the face of the port that is otherwise nearly flat on the transom.  My question is, has anyone replaced theirs and were they able to do it from the swim platform alone, or did they have to dislocate body parts to crawl into tight spaces in the engine compartment to loosen the gas and vent hose clamps? My hope is that there's just enough slack to allow someone in the engine bay to hold up on the 2 hoses enough that they and the clamps pop out the transom for an easy swap. Hopefully I explained this well enough. Currently I have tape over the old ports so I don't end up where I started.

Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t had to replace the assembly but I have replaced the O rings on the caps.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    Check friendly reminder thread for o ring info
  • Options
    Pat310 said:
    Check friendly reminder thread for o ring info
    In my case, the gasket is only masking the flaw. I’m offsetting mine by 1/4” with the new offset ring they sell for these ports. I’m just going full new, but I’ve written down the part number for the gasket you posted. 
    Dan of Steel
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Can you please post the part number of these 

Perko Fuel Fill Ports and the oring part number thanks.

• Options
    Do these caps allow air into the tank when boat is running so a vacuum is NOT formed in the tank and prevent fuel to engine?
  • Options
    Can you please post the part number of these 

Perko Fuel Fill Ports and the oring part number 

0540DPGCHR Is the part number for the bent neck version. 

Dan of Steel
  • Options
    Do these caps allow air into the tank when boat is running so a vacuum is NOT formed in the tank and prevent fuel to engine?
    Yes, there is some sort of venting. The vent pipe and main fuel pipe both connect to this port. I think the venting part of it that allowed water into the
    flush-mount version we have. New ones have offset adapters to mostly eliminate this problem. 
    Dan of Steel
  • Options
    Yes, there is some sort of venting. The vent pipe and main fuel pipe both connect to this port. I think the venting part of it that allowed water into the
    flush-mount version we have. New ones have offset adapters to mostly eliminate this problem. 
    Port tank ran out of fuel last trip long trip coming across lake, was feeding both engines 496 Mags from starboard tank read just under 1/2. was running fine. idling at dock warming up engines and starboard engine stalls like it is out of gas.
    pulled cool fuel filters and put in new filters. when I opened fuel line valve to fill bowl in cool fuel thought I heard the gas suck back to tank. couldn't gas gas to flow to prime filter. added gas to both tanks and had to manually prime, once pumps primed everything was fine. added 46 gal to both tanks and ran each engine from its own tank ran great.
    Weird problem I will check to make sure starboard tank gas cap is vented.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you turned the key on and off a couple of times letting the pump come on then turn off on its own the pump would’ve primed it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I think if you turned the key on and off a couple of times letting the pump come on then turn off on its own the pump would’ve primed it.
    Tried that the fuel needs to be in the bowl it won't pump air.