Options

Secondary Fuel Water Separators Installed

With a lot of over engineering and innovation, I was able to squeeze two fuel water separators into a cramped engine room. Given where the fuel lines were, and my hope to just reuse what was there, I went ahead and did what I did to best inline these things. That cantilevered setup isn’t going anywhere.  That aluminum rail is strongly attached on the other side, and will not rip out. 

I did this because I am the guy who had 30 gallons of water just pumped out of my gas tanks. They did a number on the engines and injectors. I’ve solved the water getting in the gas problem, but I want to make sure I’m ready for the future when condensation and everything else adds a little bit of water to the tanks. 

Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Are they 3/8 barb? What filter did you use?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Nice. Are they 3/8 barb? What filter did you use?
    Yes 3/8 barb shutoff connectors. I have shutoffs on both sides of each filter to allow for less mess when I swap in new filters. 
    Racor 320R-RAC-02. Engine compartment requires metal bowl rather than the clear plastic ones.
    Dan of Steel
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job- so this is a second separator or they did not have any? One per motor I'd hope.
    I also had a water problem or still do,- anyway- I was testing my no start and hooked up line to that shader valve on the fuel rail and was pumping significant water...some trash into my little bottle. I really question what good the filters are doing as next stop from fuel rail is the injectors and then a cylinder. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Nice job- so this is a second separator or they did not have any? One per motor I'd hope.
    I also had a water problem or still do,- anyway- I was testing my no start and hooked up line to that shader valve on the fuel rail and was pumping significant water...some trash into my little bottle. I really question what good the filters are doing as next stop from fuel rail is the injectors and then a cylinder. 
    These are in addition to the F/W separator filter on the fuel pump. This one just adds another buffer to inevitable water infiltration that can happen with larger gas tanks (condensation and Ethanol breakdown, for example). One per motor, yes. So far I'm not seeing any performance hit. All along, it was water that was causing most of my engine problems - something the previous owner didn't let on to me about. With the water mostly out of the gas and extra water filtration, I think I'll have a much better season next year.

Dan of Steel
  • Options
    needmotoolsneedmotools Member Posts: 12
    Nice additional protection in addition to the F/W separator filter in the Mercury cool fuel module.
    2008 Sea Ray 38 Sundancer (previous: 2006 Rinker 342 EC)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    He’s got Volvos so no cool fuel. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    The only thing on older Volvo Pentas is a spin on fuel filter on the fuel pump. If you have a nontrivial amount of water in your gas, that thing fills up in a minute. These filters will hold a lot more water but obviously they will also fill up if there’s too much water. 
    Dan of Steel