Options

Rainwater gets in bilge

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
On my 2006 FV 270 the bilge stays dry unless it rains.  I am slipped on salt water and it’s definitely fresh rain water. I’m not sure where it’s coming in, but I know there are corners of the canvas, vents on the side, and possibly it could be getting in the lazarette. Anybody else seeing the same thing? I’d like to eliminate it, but I’m not sure how..

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are also drains from the transom locker ... 

Maybe get someone to give it a good spray with the house around the portals, deck to hull joint, windshield, transom locker, one area at a time ... while you observe key areas, like the shower sump access area and in the bilge itself for signs of water streaming/dripping?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Well @luvinlife, I feel like a leak expert. How much water we talking? When I thought about how many "holes" we have in our boats I get scared to put it in the water. 
    I had a leak I solved couple of months back- leaked since we purchased. Finally figured out in the dry compartment storage on the seating next to the helm PO drilled a hole in it to drain- right into the headliner of the mid ship storage area..and on to the geny. 
    So  depending on how much you have..I store mine with covers and there is always water it seems...anchor locker? Reseal window screws? Lots of threads on chasing down leaks..
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which bilge? 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaks are the best.    Not too many boats over a decade old wouldn't benefit from the windows removed and frames re seated to the hull.   I used the same cheap butyl tape for my 6ft cabin windows that I used to install my metal roof.  A p.o.  used some adhesive sealer on the port side window and I hate him for it, took hours to remove.  With butyl tape it never hardens and should remove easily 10 years down the road. I also used butyl tape to rebed all the sanctions for my bow rails.  It stays playable and in the event of a damaged one I can remove it easily to replace.  

My cockpit drains also started leaking where the factory sealed them to the hull. For those I removed and install with 4200.   

My windshield mounts are now leaking in heavy rains and now I need to remove and reseal. For now I keep privacy/sun covers over the windows when it rains when on the water and a tarp over it when not in use.    

Sailboats that can't use covered docks go as far as glassing over the hull joint to stop leaks.  If there's a screw, joint or thru fitting it can leak.   

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input so far.  My cabin stays bone dry so I don’t think it’s the windshield. I will try hosing while observing the engine compartment. My guess is the lazaret or air vents.  It’s not a lot of water. Maybe. Coupe of gallons. Doesn’t trip the bilge pump. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I sat in the bilge during a rain storm. Basically everything that could leak did. The shower box on the back, the grab rails, etc etc etc... 
  • Options
    The biggest leak I've found since starting boat ownership has been from my wallet 
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I also used butyl tape to rebed all the sanctions for my bow rails. 

Were your rails bolted in or screwed?  I tried to remove mine but apparently they are thru-bolted?
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    They have thru screws.  Some I can access through the windows but others required a helper.  
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    They have thru screws.  Some I can access through the windows but others required a helper.  
    Hmmm, mine seemed to be bolt/nut with no way to secure the nuts after loosening. :(

2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    I've never been on a 270 but I'm sure the guys here can help you find them.   Nearly all of mine were hidden under headliner which required cutting and a slit in the material to access.   I glued it back when I was done. Two of them were in the chain locker.   

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    My 270 is the same. I noticed after I wax the bow topside, and it rains, I can see the wax color in the bilge water. Mystery. Also, the sponge insulation under the hatch seems to be wicking water from somewhere. It is always quite sodden after the rain.