Options

Running Marine AC on heat (reverse cycle) acts up after running for an hour

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Electrical Discussions
16k BTU marine air.  Never had an issue with it even with high 80 degree water temps and air highs/lows in mid 80 to upper 90s with zero shade.   Boat has more windows that a green house. As energy efficient as Al Gore's private jet and mansions combined. 

Running it on reverse cycle heat for the first time.  Ran flawlessly for about an hour.  Set heat on 70.  Started at 58.  About an hour later it was hitting 67 and started to short cycle before tripping inverters overload.   Flow of water hasn't changed.    I don't have the ability to hook to shore power as we are in the middle of nowhere.   Ran microwave, water heater and coffee maker to ensure no issues from my inverter generator.   Water temp is 77.  Let it sit 20 min off and when powered back compressor kicks on it over loads the 3800 watt inverter and locks the internal breaker to the genny not the breaker on the panel.  Perhaps reverse cycle draws too many amps when it's stressed?  

Any ideas on what to check?

Looks like I'm bringing an electric heater on the fishing trip in two weeks if I don't figure it out lol.

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I had a similar issue two springs ago.  I ended up checking output voltage and it was a little low.  I was able to adjust it on the generator and it’s been ok since.  You can’t really simulate the initial surge the heat cycle takes with anything else. Closest might be having water heater on, knowing it needs to heat, and the run microwave.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I'm wondering if it's not indeed a power draw issue.  It's about 80 degrees outside now and sun beating down directly overhead.  The admiral is taking her afternoon nap so I just turned on the ac.  High today is 80 but humid.  Feels almost 90.   I've worked up a sweat dragging wood out of the forest to have a fire tonight.  The thermostat read 76 when I turned it on.   For my sake it better work.

Also I thought I had a marine air ac, it's an ocean breeze.   

I guess it's time to finally start looking into 5k watt marine generator.   I'm able to order the Lombardi (spelling) diesel motors but I'm not allowed to order any of the marine parts they use specific to their generators.  They were purchased by Kohler some years back.   I pressed my rep for info, seems there's a boat builder in the low country of our state that buys dozens of them from him and does the marine conversion in house for sailboats.   He wouldn't give me their info but I suspect it is beneteau (spelling again) near Marion South Carolina.  I've only seen their power yachts outside their facility these past few years but they used to build lots of sailboats.   Helms was a sailboat builder near Columbia South Carolina but I think they went under in the 80s or 90s.  

Is anyone else here hoping that FSU comes into Clemson today and stomps the tigers?   I see so much orange on the lake today and I want to see them sad on their jet skis tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    So, I’m watching the Clemson game and actually rooting for them to beat FSU.  Doesn’t feel right, but I don’t like either team and FSU is too high in the rankings.  It is a good game, tied at 24 right now. 

Oh, the little electric heaters work very well.  Enjoy the fire! We have inches of rain here, so very rare we are not on the boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I hate Clemson and their fans.  I really hate their fans.  May they lose to every team