Options

Engine temperature heating up on my 342

John41John41 Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
So I finally had my mechanic out on the boat to see why my starboard engine was heating up. It looks like it’s time for new manifold and risers. They also mentioned sending my heat exchanger in to have it cleaned out. I have the Volvo Penta 5.7 engine. Should I use Volvo parts or can I go with something cheaper? Where can I get the best deal 💰

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Use factory parts, cheap now never works out long term
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    I'm not familiar with Volvo Penta parts so I'm not up to speed on OEM pricing.  When I replaced them on my 5.7 mercruiser I went with OEM mercruiser as the price was very close the BARR.   BARR has a pretty good reputation for quality manifolds and risers.  Iirc there was less than 200 buck difference so I chose OEM.  The hull truth and boats usually had good things to say about their quality.

Barr is sold by Michigan motors which probably wouldn't sell something they wouldn't use on one of their high priced replacement drop in motors. Michigan motors or motorz isn't the only dealer so you can shop around for best price. 

No matter which set you use I'd still put a straight edge on all mating surfaces before install. Even OEM can be slightly off.  Your mechanic will torque these to spec but it's usually up to you to recheck the torque after a few heat cycles unless he's going to come back out to the boat and do it for you.  

If you're in salt water you'll be doing this every 5 years anyway so I'd invest in a torque wrench.   Replacing the manifolds is simple so long as you have some 3/8 all thread to keep the gaskets in place while you install the manifolds.  

I'd also add exhaust bellows to the to buy list if they're swollen at all.   If installing new hose clamps recheck those after a few heat cycles as well, they stretch.