Options

Keys..

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well..I was just a sayin the other day, on here, I really need to get a spare key for the merc and cabin...and now it's to late...what do I do now??

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    The ignition is easily changeable for under $20 and will come with new keys. The cabin door, you can order new keys from  https://mobellakeys.com/
    but you need the code stamped or on a label on the inside of the door latch. If it's locked you're pooched unless you drill the lock out. That one's more expensive.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
  • Options
    DanWDanW Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    For the cabin door, many boat keys are the same. Even different brands. Maybe try keys from your friends boats or if you’re friendly with a broker they may be have a key that works. Worked for me before. 
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Willhound said:
    The ignition is easily changeable for under $20 and will come with new keys.
    If you have an approximately 2010 or newer boat they'll run you about $50-$75 per ignition. No more easy swap. All electronics sealed within the system.

Ask me how I know. :smiley:

This is what's in the new(er) Rinkers like mine...

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m3001384-key-switch-pair
    Post edited by TonyG13 on
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanW said:
    For the cabin door, many boat keys are the same. Even different brands. Maybe try keys from your friends boats or if you’re friendly with a broker they may be have a key that works. Worked for me before. 
    Not to mention that those southco locks are not very robust. I would just take a screwdriver to it. Can’t imagine it would take much to get it open. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @TonyG13 he's an early 2000's 270 like I had. Single engine and the cheaper ignition. Same basic switch as a lot of construction equipment out there. 
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    @TonyG13 he's an early 2000's 270 like I had. Single engine and the cheaper ignition. Same basic switch as a lot of construction equipment out there. 
    Some days that's what I wish I had.  :)
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    What happened that its too late?  I had a key break off in my ignition, I was able to carefully fish the broken piece out. I glued the 2 pieces of the key together and the hardware store was able to cut me a new one using my glued up key.
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    I'm guessing overboard or totally lost @rasbury?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    @YYZRC so assuming I can pop that out, how do I get it put back together? Where it is stored that would not be good....so I'd buy a whole new door latch asy to swap out? Mine is a 2006 merc so at least the ignition might not be bad? Can't a locksmith figure out at least the hatch key so I don't tare something else up?
  • Options
    And I put the key down somewhere in the house...4 year old, seven year old , lots of moving parts in my house! My mooring and camper pck are both locked up in tge cabin which I don't like a bit...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can have a locksmith make a key. He can come to the boat and get it open for you. First I would try keys that you have, something close will open it. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the 270 have a bow hatch that you can climb through and unlock the cabin door? It’s not hard to twist the levers and unlock the hatch. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    And I found the keys...as I said, lots of moving parts in this house. Now I'm online trying to buy spares...great lake skippers has all sorts of keys...but nothing for the numbers I have. The box store key machines I don't believe have these blanks. I'll figure it out-270 has a bow hatch but my big butt ain't fittin through it.
  • Options
    And never mind- quick Google with the key numbers, one at nuwave....cabin key at several others but 16 bucks- will do more shopping!
    Thanks again-
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury just drop the 7 yr old in through the hatch and tell them to open the door or hand you the keys. The mobella site is your best bet for cabin keys.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @rasbury - I get my keys from this guy on eBay -- https://www.ebay.com/str/aviglocksmith -
    Mobella's are usually around $10 w/ free shipping. Just search for your key number in his storefront.
  • Options
    DanWDanW Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    The big box stores wont be able to copy it, but a real locksmith should be able to. 
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Try Ace Hardware if you have one near bye. Our has a large key selection.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    When I had keys made for my 242 I went to a locksmith and they used motorcycle key blanks. Worked perfectly.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look on the inside of your cabin door, the key number is melted into the black release handle. Three digit number starts with 9. The ignition switch is a Sierra switch, aux, off, run, start. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need a new cabin latch since it may be locked, boatoutfitters.com has the part. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I lucked out and found them..needless to say I have two more sets on the way. I also just found out I have covid, again...so I get a little time off I guess.
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    @rasbury, good luck with the covid. My daughter just got over it and she said this was the worse yet.
  • Options
    I had it before but this go around much worse. Wife has it too but it was very mild...I did lose 20 lbs the last time..
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Hope you are feeling well soon. Thats no fun.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Doing better but a long week....this go around was extremely uncomfortable headach all over the head. Respiratory was not bad. I read that can be low grade brainswelling and dehydration.  Either or for someone that never gets headaches