Options

Sterndrive lube reservoir sludge

mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

2008 Alpha I outdrive.  I drained the drive so I could replace the gear lube as part of my WINTERIZING ritual this week.  I noticed about 1/4"of sludge in the bottom of the reservoir.  It did not appear to be milky.  I tried suctioning it out but I ended up having to flush with solvent.  Is this normal?  I use Mercruiser HighPerf Gear Lube + only.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
2019 MTX20 Extreme

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup it is normal. Rinse like you did and refill.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it develops from heating cycles and no movement/flow... I'd reckon it wouldn't matter how good a quality juice you used, none of them would stand up to that.. I'd further guess that no movement/flow, in this case, is a very good thing...
    :-D
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Thank you gents. I hate this time of year.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Rinsed mine this past spring. Same amount, talking with some of my "knowledgeable"  boating friends

at the marina, very normal after some time.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    I switched over to Neo-Synthetic oil for my drives when they were overhauled.  It was recommended by the overhauler and got me 2 year warranty also.  So far so good.  He called the Mercury oil 'blue death'.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

I just changed mine with the Merc drive oil and cleaned the reservoir. No significant sludge, no metal flecks, no water and the oil looked fairly good for being two seasons old but after about 3hrs of run time on fresh oil my B3 is now starting to sound just a bit noisier than I remember.

When I rinse it on the trailer with the muffs I can hear the normal exhaust tone but it now seems to have a slightly more resonate mechanical sound in the top end that I don't remember before. Might be paranoia but we'll see. Of course it's noisier as it's trimmed up which I avoid. My sterndrive guru can't see it for 10days...bummer as my season is just beginning.

Maybe I'll post a video and let the crew see if they can make anything out. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Al, My guy is coming Wednesday and I'm hoping we can pull it off and check the alignment, bearing & U/J in my shop on the spot. Haven't pulled a drive off in 30years but I'm sure it'll all come back with some oversight.
    Thanks, Mike

Already have the ATV lift so here's a simple OD adapter I'll fab tnite to assure it's manageable and done at least annually.  I'll move onto a new thread if it needs further discussion. Thanks again.

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Without that jack, they are heavy and takes 2 strong guys to take a BIII off. I used a floor jack to help. Re-installing is another beast to align, I paid to have that done.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful with the B lll. I pulled the drive trim rams to re-position the ram shims for more negative trim and they were a handful AND they were still attached to the transom. There is a lot of weight even in a B l or B ll .Take care! MT