Options

o.k.to leave trim up under the swim platform for the winter?mice?bellow damage ?

Hey guys...leaving the fiesta vee 270 out in the lot..dont want the lower unit encased in snow,so i am tempted to leave the trim "up" to keep it above the snow and ice..swim platform should protect from water..is this wise practice??or will animals /mice get into engine area if i do this..???can new bellows get ruined over cold wisconsin winter ??chewed by mice???thanks.for any help....worried about this one..took the props off...because of theft...wrapped shaft with duck tape,good to do as well?

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    We leave the drives fully down around here. Snow isn't much of an issue because the swim platform covers the drives, so it's just what drifts in. Some people wrap their drives with a garbage bag.

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Down. The bellows don't really matter if they're in good shape but the stess on the u-joints, hydraulic rams etc will be less. Just my opinion based on my mechanic at the marina that gave me the advice.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    Mercruiser manual says down is the correct way to store an outdrive.
  • Options
    maxwellmaxwell Member Posts: 106
    down it is...now just have to figure out how to get power...batteries  ran down..crap..thanks everone!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to make a jump box std equipment!
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum also! I have a 270 also...
  • Options
    Thanks..How do you like it ??spend any nights on it??
  • Options
    I guess I will have to hook to shore power, thats the only way to open the engine compartment.Yes?? I hope the neighbor's home...
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your batteries have Been removed then yes one option is to hook to shore power and turn on the battery charger in order to open engine compartment. Another option is to hook a jump box to the terminals on the power panel in the cockpit.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    maxwell said:
    Thanks..How do you like it ??spend any nights on it??
    Maxwell- if you want to ask someone a question you need to hit the quote button then it will show up in the person's mailbox- otherwise they may never see it.

Yes, we have spent several weekends on it- sometimes with 3 kids even. My wife and I spent a week on it...in the middle of a tropical storm. We did fine but sure drank a lot to pass the time...it's a great boat I've never outgrown....now if I could afford a bigger boat sitting at a marina I'd be there like most- otherwise I still enjoy it very much.
  • Options
    maxwell said:
    I guess I will have to hook to shore power, thats the only way to open the engine compartment.Yes?? I hope the neighbor's home...
    If your battery has any juice in it you have a switch on the helm. If your batteries are dead then yes you can raise on shore power. If you open up the door where your battery switch/fuse panel is you will see two threaded post/covers on posts. If you have a jump box you can fire it up from those- one way is reverse, the other is down.