Options

Winterization question

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
I unwinterized the boat in the spring with the high hopes of using it this summer. Unfortunately that wasn’t in the cards. I just winterized the water system. The question is, should I change the engine and drive oil? The engine has been run for maybe 10 minutes since last fall, long enough to unwinterize it. I say no, but I am always big on preventative maintenance, so that could be a yes. 

Thoughts? 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you didn’t get to use the boat Greg. I would not change it. If anything maybe change oil and not filter but after only 10 min I’d leave it for another year.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    I agree, leave it!
    Think about how long your car oil stays in your car. 
    3000 miles @ 60 mph = 50 hours = 3000 minutes 
    And throughout that time, the oil is getting dirty….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I changed my oil in my slip this season. I drove the boat to the ramp, in the same marina. I still have to run and winterize. I’m not going to change my oil again till next fall after the boating season….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I’ve changed my oil in the fall, and then gone to an island 15 miles away (put in bay) and back the next weekend, then haul out and good until next fall. Always have a 4 mile run from slip to travel lift after fall oil change. Your still fresh!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I changed mine 9 days ago.  I have been changing it in late September the last couple years.  An hour or two on it before winter is fine.  I would not change yours, it is still fresh.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    I would run the engine to get it up to temp just to burn any potential moisture out of the oil. All of the whole house generators run once a month for this purpose and they can go a few years without an oil change.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd tend to agree with the majority- however- cheap piece of mind if you feel the need!
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Agree with others with not needing to change.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your valuable input. I will run it to temperature before running the -100 through the block. It is unfortunate that we didn’t get to use her this season. Maybe our luck will change and we will get a slip next summer. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Finally got her winterized on Sunday before our cold snap here in the Midwest. Thanks again for everyone’s help. 
    Go Steelers!!!