Options

310 upgrade A/C

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in General Boating Discussions
I am in the process of upgrading my A/C to 16k unit, but my duct is a 6" diameter and Dometic recommended a minimum duct diameter of 7" for a 16k unit. I don't have any ideas if 1" less in the diameter of the duct will made any differences in the performances of the unit or more noise from the blower. I can replaces the duct but I don't know how to removes the cabinets around the supply grille to get access to it. Any input will be appreciate. Thx
Post edited by oscar1 on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    Instead of replacing the 6" duct, is there an easy way to add a 4" duct with a T connection?  The area of a 7" duct is 38 square inches.  A 6" plus a 4" would have a total area of 41 square inches.  And you might get better air distribution having two ducts instead of one. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree there, adding more ducts would deliver more flow while also adding better distribution.  

The AC vent in the head sucks. I hate it.  Even closed you get a chilly breeze.  But in the fall when you're taking a morning shower with the heat on it's perfect. 

Don't tell anyone but all the tees in my ac system and duct work came from home depot.   I didn't even opt for the insulated duct although if I was in Miami I likely would.   Where I anchor I have shade from trees by about 630 pm late summer. 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    @oscar1 - From my experience, the grill cannot be removed without major surgery -- but you can access the ductwork fairly easily.

The panel right underneath the grill is held on by magnets. It's a little hard to move to release, but just shift the panel to the left and it should slide for access.

Here's a pic...

You can then detach or attach the duct from the grill.

Here's a pic looking up at the base of the grill cabinet...

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tight fit...will 7 inches even fit in there?   (That's what she said)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Wow Tony. How did you figure out how to access the a/c supply grill. I can not believe it was holding in places by magnets. I really really appreciate your info. But it may have to be for future upgrade, because I just install the A/C unit removing  the inside plastic of the 6" duct connector, plus taking Larea advices about adding an extra supply duct.  Anyway Thank you for the pics, but you can bet that i am going to open that access panel tomorrow morning. Thx
    Post edited by oscar1 on
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won’t be disappointed with that new Dometic. I’m loving mine - so quiet!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Tony Mission accomplish, Anyway the 7" a/c duct can not fit in there, so i going to use the access door to keep my travel glock in there, haaaaaaaa. thx