Options

342 transom storage door

DanWDanW Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
The transom storage door on my 2002 342 cracked in half today. I checked Great Lakes Skipper and they don’t have them. Any ideas on where a replacement could be found? I know it’s probably impossible. Alternatively, any ideas on how to get one made?

Thanks,
Dan
2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
1998 Regal 2100 LSR

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the door fiberglass? I’m sure you or a repair shop can fix it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It’s plastic. I’m going to try a plastic shop but I don’t think they can do something like this. I’m also going to try to glue it back together but it broke right at the hinge  
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    There is a way to stitch or weld plastic back together. Hopefully the plastic shop can fix it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan to keep the boat for a while, I would take it to a fiberglass guy and replicate it in fiberglass. Would cost a fair bit but it would match the gelcoat and be much more durable. 

If not then just have it plastic welded and painted. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC, that’s not a bad idea. Maybe I’ll look into getting it made in fiberglass. I’ve never had anything like that done. What would you think the ballpark price is? Anybody know a good fiberglass person in the Sacramento area? I don’t think there’s a lot of members from Northern California on here - I’ll ask around at my Marina. 

Thanks!
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    On my 342 it's fiberglass. I had a fiberglass guy repair it and he had to gel coat his repair. Came very close to a perfect match. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it made from HDPE Starboard? Seems like you could buy a new panel of it and then warm it and flex it to that bend then drill the holes you need for hardware.
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    To me it looks too smooth to be starboard. Are you sure it’s not fiberglass @DanW ?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post some up close pics of the break?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    To me it looks too smooth to be starboard. Are you sure it’s not fiberglass @DanW ?
    I doubt it is, these always seem to be off color.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I’m no expert but isn’t that plastic? It’s not fiberglass.  (The pic is of the broken off piece on top of the door. I took it off the boat.) I’ve wondered about this door for a long time. It doesn’t match the hull color of the boat. The door is bright white while the hull color is an off white. Could this door have been replaced by a previous owner once already? But my cabin door also is bright white. I thought it was unlikely both doors had been replaced at some point. I figured Rinker built them like that on purpose. Some people are saying their transom storage doors are fiberglass though. Not that it’s super important but I wonder why the difference? Were they fiberglass or plastic in different model years? 
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    Agreed. Looks like plastic to me. Not sure why Rinker did that as it would never match the gelcoat. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    That looks totally different than mine. The one on my boat is definitely fiberglass. Maybe the PO swapped out the doors??????? It's the same year as mine.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Looks like the same acrylic as the cabin sliding door.  Rinker probably had one vendor that made both doors.  
  • Options
    I know that Larsons sliding acrylic doors were made by Spartech. Not sure of Rinker but Spartech is worth a try.

• Options

Spartech is who made the cabin door on my 08 330.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    You could get someone to vinyl wrap it to match the gelcoat and hide the repair. 
  • Options
    Awesome that you were able to get it repaired, looks good! Good idea from YY also on the vinyl wrap. They sell kits online and you could even give that a whirl as a DIY first to see how that goes. Thanks for posting the results!

• Options
  • Options
    A lot of people think the door has been replaced. I don’t know why rinker didn’t match the gel coat color on that door. The cabin door is white and doesn’t match either. But it sounds like Rinker put some plastic doors on and some fiberglass doors on the 342. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I’ll try the vinyl wrap a try. Thanks!
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8
    It'll probably be hard to get a wrap to match your hull color - and you'd still be in the same boat with it looking out of place.

What about getting a custom printed wrap for the door in a complimentary color that matches your existing color scheme and includes some graphics and your boat name at the same time? (Since you'd have to redo the boat name anyway if you do a wrap.) That may look more cohesive.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    I can definitely state that this is the first one i have seen with a slightly different color door.  My boat had been painted by the PO so maybe not a good example.  I didn't have a great luck with wrap.  The sun and water was just too harsh.  It became brittle and easy to chip a little.  I have been told you cannot put gel coat on plastic.  Definitely not on starboard.  You can prime and paint it though.  Once you get the right color match it would likely not be too expensive to pull it and give it to someone to paint.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    I’ve noticed in pics, some pre 2004 342s with with a slightly off color door. 

• Options
    Then again, this all seems like a lot of work. It’s been off color for 22 years. What’s a few more years. 🤣 I think I’ll grab a beer, head out on the water, and admire my repaired door. But I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks everyone!
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I find it crazy that Rinker has different colors sizes for the exact same model/year boat… Rinker has a bright white gelcoat and an off-white gelcoat. Even the Radar arch plates have different screw hole locations for same model/year boats. There’s no rhyme or reason!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Supplier for that build week, I suppose.  To me, it's all part of how Rinker kept the boats affordable.  If mismatched finishes really bothered me, there are other brands that make everything match.  And the price of my 342 would have bought me a 21-foot center console!