Options

network

I have a 2008 Rinker 330 ec with twin 350 mag mpi. My Raymarine C80 MFD gave up and I replaced it with a Raymarine Axiom +9 RV. Installed it later part of last summer. 
it keeps loosing fix and I was told I need to add a RS150 receiver on my arch to capture the signal properly. In order to do this I need to add the MFD and RS150 to a network. Apparently, you can't connect the antenna to the MFD directly without a network of some sort.  
Is there a network existing on the Rinker that I can tap into?  If so where is it?

Or do I need to add NMEA 2000 to accommodate to MFD and antenna.

To add the NMEA 2000 is quite expensive and would like to avoid if possible.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Everyone has a different thought on expensive. I would not consider the nmea2k network to be expensive and also the Raymarine systems use Saetalk which is their own proprietary network so maybe that cost more than nmea2k. 

You should just need the "backbone" and some network cables. Looks like the starter kit is less than $200. 

If you have nothing currently using your network plug on your MFD you should be able to plug the antenna directly to that seatalk port..... possibly. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited December 2023
    If the Axiom built-in GPS is not getting a good signal, it makes sense to add an external GPS receiver (sometimes called GPS puck).  But you might not need to mount the puck up on the arch.  I'd start by just putting the puck inside the helm but farther forward.  If it works reliably, just attach it with double-sided tape and be done with it.
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    You'll hear the terms SeaTalk and NMEA 2000 (also called N2K).  Both systems use the same communication protocol, except Raymarine uses proprietary SeaTalk cables.  You should just use SeaTalk since you only have two devices on the network.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point in saying everyone has their own opinion of expensive was just to show the cost I found and to see if you have something different. Maybe you were looking at the wrong networking device or something else entirely. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    My boat came with a new axiom 12. I have a hard top and I would occasionally lose fix on cloudy days. It would take 20+ minutes to get a fix on cloudy days and 10+ minutes on a sunny day. Last June I added the RS150 using seatalk and wow what a difference. I have a fix right at startup and never lose fix. Motored 3 hours last July in thick clouds and pouring rain, didn’t lose fix once, didn’t even see it turn red where it’s a bad fix. Always instant, strong fix. I didn’t want to go through the trouble of adding the 150 but I’m sure glad I did. GPSstore had the best price 
    Post edited by Liberty44140 on
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    BmaggiacBmaggiac Member Posts: 19