Options

Rinker 246 Stereo System Update

robinst9robinst9 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I am looking to update my stereo system on a 2006 Rinker 246. The helm and walkthrough transom remotes will need to be replaced. Has anyone updated these? The transom remote seems to be pretty difficult to get to. 

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wiring to the remotes is all zip tied to the cable loom. Plan to leave the original wiring in place and run new wires to the remotes.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    You could also consider a system with wireless remotes (for example, Garmin Fusion).  I have a couple wireless remotes, and they work fine.  But I normally run everything from my phone, so the remotes are not as important as they used to be.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also second the Fusion system as well. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s a Clarion system, there is an adapter that lets you use the existing wiring and use new remotes. You don’t get all of the functions on the new remote, but that’s an option for you. I have the M608 and it’s a nice head unit. It was plug and play as far as the speaker wiring since my original head unit was also a clarion. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those adapter cables were getting tough to find when I considered themis a few years ago. Not sure if it's gotten better. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    DanWDanW Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I really like my fusion stereo. The remotes are wireless so I didn’t need to run new wires to the helm and transom. I also like that it easily integrated with my garmin chartplotter so I can control everything from there. I do find fusion’s app to be glitchy so I prefer having the remotes and chartplotter to use to control the stereo vs my phone. 
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    It is good to hear the positive reviews on the Fusion. I have been looking and am leaning towards the Fusion MS-RA70NSX for about
     $320. You can get both wired and wireless remotes as well as control via n2k. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    @robinst9 - like the 246. Had one new in 07 & it was excellent.

Excellent comments above. I really like the Fusion (Garmin) systems & JL Audio speakers.

Did a complete stereo redo on our 08 276BR Rinker myself. Used Clarion & Kicker. My boat neighbor has the boat now & sound system still rips!

Also completely revamped our current 310BR boat.

I did hire a pro for on our most recent stereo install. Had to fully re-run cabling, etc for both remotes & cabin head unit. (also added wireless remote in the bow)

Fusion RA670 head unit
    2 - Fusion NRX300 wired remotes & 1 wireless.
    2 - 10" subs, 2 - JL XD800 amps, 8 - 7.7" JL speakers.

Clarion Marine is good stuff - but the Fusion is over the top.
    I wouldn't reuse anything of your original equip installed on the 246. 

If you can justify it....I can't speak enough about a pro installer.
    • super neat cabling
    • proper guage wiring - critical.
    • Clean mounting - including fabbing up backer plates to deal with previous remote holes.
    • Zone set up. We have 3 zones on ours which works really well. 1. Cockpit, 2. Cockpit/Bow, 3. Swimdeck (rear speakers & arch can speakers)

Keep us posted, makes the forum great.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current