Options

Gear oil pump

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don’t know why I never thought of doing this! Definitely will be next season!

https://youtu.be/mpqiCtl1GkM?si=Pvtqzh6Zaq_sP34E
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched that last night, pretty smart!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why it's not filled from the reservoir and pull the plug from the bottom  until it starts to drain- would this not eliminate the air in the system?
  • Options
    edited January 22
    You could probably fill from the reservoir but it would take a VERY long time for the air to come back up to the reservoir, you wouldn’t have to remove the bottom plug. When I fill from the bottom plug and let it sit over the winter, the reservoir always needs to be topped off because some air came up while it sat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't do a full fill from the top but I did pump up to the top hole and then let the reservoir fill the rest. 

I ran maybe an hour tops each weekend and took about 4 trips to the lake before it finally stopped needing to be topped off each week.  

Wont ever be doing that again 

• Options
    But if you had pumped it until the reservoir was full...
  • Options
    No @aero3113...why can't you just pump it from the bottom plug into the reservoir? Only reason I could think of is the connection in the line, might not hold up well with any pressure on it..
  • Options
    The line from the reservoir might be too small of diameter to pump the oil through. And like you said, pressure might build up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you did it that way @rasbury you would have to have someone inside the boat watching the reservoir and yelling at you when it's full. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    But if you had pumped it until the reservoir was full...
    The reservoir was full-ish.  I had drained the foot. I didn't pump until the reservoir was full because I didn't have a spotter. The last time I did this without a spotter I had to clean gear lube out of the bilge.  

• Options