Options

Dash Redo 320

Dash redo 320

Sharing with the group an addition to my 320 from last summer which I will be completing before launch this spring and have a few questions that I’m hoping someone can help me with.

I made an aluminum dash housing with an axiom 12 Rv with transducers and fitted it to the existing dash. Set up a nmea 2000 network with fox marine engine gateways on each engine ( 5.0L Volvo penta engines)  and raymarine GPS antenna as the one in the unit would not always get a fix. (Likely the housing interfering) To the left of the helm I made a new panel and installed a wireless cell phone charging pocket.

I will be adding either nmea fuel senders in the tanks to connect to the network on the axiom or piggy back off the original float level sensors. Suggestions?

i have removed all the panels now and will be painting them all which leads me to some questions before I complete the dash. 

1) I have searched everywhere, can I convert my dps drives 3 wire tilt signal to NMEA 2000 to read on the Axiom with some sort of converter so I can eliminate those gauges?

2) my plan is to delete all the quad gauges to the right and left of the axiom the question is as I am cleaning up all the wiring ( what a mess! )  has anyone removed the gauge harnesses completely? Can someone identify for me a 3 inch round unit the shape of the gauges with two harnesses coming out. Numbers are worn off but it says gas module on it.  Picture attached.

3) Anyone who has used a gateway and MFD to read everything have you completely removed all gauges?

Thanks.

What is the function of this below??

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    edited January 15
    The dash housing looks fantastic!  That's sheet aluminum painted gloss black?
    On my 370 with Merc 496s, I took out all of the analog gauges.  I connected the fuel tank senders and trim position sensors to the engine harness.  The MFDs see anything the engine computers see, including the fuel tanks and trim position.  Maybe somebody here can advise on doing that with VP.
  • Options
    GlennyGlenny Member Posts: 22
    Thank you yes it is aluminum and painted black.

My boat being 2005 the inputs are all analog so I need a type of converter.

Worst case I will keep the two analog gauges for the trim and hook up fuel tanks to the MFD with the converters or new NMEA sending units.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    I believe that 3 inch round unit is for the tachometer’s . I could be wrong but I think that’s what I remember. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Found it the round unit is for the engine sync gauge, both tach signals go in the box and then it goes out to the sync gauge.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a gateway from yacht devices on my Volvo that put all engine data on the screen from nmea2k. There was a way to program the SD in the gateway to read the engine tilt and it wasn't difficult however I never did so it. Might want to check them out. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    For fuel senders i would recommend Oceanic Systems NMEA 2000 Fuel Tank Volume / Level Sender - 1000mm - 5-Bolt SAE from defender.com. Link here.  They were pretty solid in my experience.  I tried connecting a Garmin GFL 10 and it was ok.  It just taps right into your existing fuel sender. I also used the Garmin GET 10 for tilt.  It just tapped into the wiring at the dash.  All of these sensors require configuration. So just keep that in mind.  You can search N2K here and there are a lot of conversations with a lot of advice.  The biggest thing i learned was that for me it was better to start replacing the actual sensor itself vs using the existing sensors. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    Glenny said:
    Found it the round unit is for the engine sync gauge, both tach signals go in the box and then it goes out to the sync gauge.
    Yes, now I remember!! I was close…
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    David that makes sense I’m removing all the wiring anyways so will start with new tank sending units. 
  • Options
    Aqua the yacht devices unit works with 10 wire DLC mine are 5 wires. With the fox marine unit it came with its own oil pressure sender that’s wired into the unit and it sends in to NMEA. Works great. 

Yacht devices make a rudder device that I can hook up to my dps drives in order to show up on the axiom i emailed them yesterday and they messaged me back with good information. 

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep that's good. I actually did see that rudder device and thought maybe that would work as the signals are probably the same. Just measuring resistance. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988