Options

For you guys with diesel fuel systems.

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
So I was wondering what everyone is using for fuel additives. What works for you and what kind of filters are you running with. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I have RACOR filters at the tank, and each engine has an OEM secondary filter on the engine.  I haven't been using any additives, but the fuel doesn't usually sit around very long.   :)

When I got the boat, there was some growth in the RACORs from whatever crap fuel they were feeding her in Venezuela and the islands.  I replaced the filters, and they stayed clear all summer.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stabil makes a diesel stabilizer.  Amazon, Walmart.com or your local tractors supply.  The growth is usually the crap that lives off of the bio part of the bio diesel.  

If growth is an issue there are many options for that at your local Walmart or auto parts store.  

Like @LaRea I have both a filter on my engine and one with a water filter between the two. 

I use wix filters for the replacements as they are cheap, quality and locally available.   Each time I replace them I fill the filters (spring before launch) with diesel kleen or molly lube diesel treatment instead of diesel to prime.   Not sure I really need it but gives the injection pump and injectors a good cleaning.   
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    Racors and a filter on the engine. I normally use Wix filters however after really getting into the specs on these I am using Baldwin for the boat and that's what was previously on it as well. 

I haven't added it yet but Standadyne is supposed to be good fuel additive. I bought a jug of it but I am waiting till I top off the tanks to add it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I have been reading up a lot on Seaboard Marine and other marine articles and proper filtration and preventative additive maintenance seems to be the way to go for preventing expensive repairs. This will be our fourth season with a diesel powered boat and I got onto regular filter monitoring and changing , also adding Biobor / Power Kleen and lubricity for pump and injector protection. My first season with the boat I was constantly changing dirty Raycors but after maintaining with additives I only change them once a year. I did put the boat away with only half tanks because the marina was out of gas in the fall. I will have to be care full with moisture in the spring. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve yet to use additives. Same as LR I have Separ (similar to Racor) primary filters and then on engine secondary filters. Primary’s are 10 micron. Our fuel dock claims to have algae fighting additives already in it (like Valctect). I’ve also been looking in to an additive to help with any algae in the tank but I had a buddy do this on his D13s and so much crap let loose in his tank that he lost an engine on his next run. Filters were new yet caked with crap from the additive. He ended up changing the filters 4 times that season to get it all cleaned out but now he knows he has cleaner tanks. So if I use an additive it will be in the spring so I can change filters in June after some running. 

Not sure which additive i would use.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Good plan Liberty. I have had good luck with JP Biobor. If you  pull the filter on your Separ regularly and if it is turning black then you probably need to shock your fuel tanks. I’m not sure if Valvtec has lube added but if not you should also add a lubricity additive. 
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I’ve changed the separ filters twice now, both times after 3 seasons. Both times it was time for a change for sure but they weren’t “bad” or caked with gunk but definitely very dark. Some gunk at the bottom of the bowl which drained out. Nice thing about the separ units is that I can back flush them in place which forces gunk to the bottom of the bowl and then just drain the bowl. I have never done that :o but plan to this spring.

oh and I’ll look at that Biobor. May be a good option. I’ve read good things about Killem too. 

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    30 Micron in Racor. 8 Micron on the engine. Use Marinescene16 now. Pic from previous post.

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what that tastes like??
  • Options
    Marinescene 16. Not sure I have seen that before . Does it just deal with algea 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hey Goalie - Did the Seaboard guys recommend Biobor JF? What were their comments. Some very knowledgeable guys on that board. I think I may order some for this summer.

• Options
    No they seem to be more geared to adding double pre filtration but most of their boating is fishing vessels that are constantly cycling their fuel tanks. Our boats in comparison sit a lot and the moisture inside the tanks breed this algae. I personally have taken the approach to keep the fuel conditioned as I do not always have access to diesel to keep the tanks topped up and often have to store the tanks at less than full.