Options

Boat Anchor Issue

2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee. The anchor goes down, however, it won't come up using the up and down switch. The switch was replaced with a new one. The issue still remain the same. What could be causing this issue. 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    I would say solenoid probably. It’s located up at the windless.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    You might get lucky and tap it a couple of times with a screwdriver to get the chain back up if you’re in a bind.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited February 7
    You didn't say if the windlass motor was running or not when activating the switch.  If it's not turning, you could have a rode jam, a bad solenoid, or low battery current reaching the motor.  Try it again when the engine running (or genset with battery charger on) and see if it's different, as you could have a power delivery issue.  If you can hear the motor turning, but rode isn't coming up then tighten the clutch.

You didn't say what model of FV you have or which windlass, but @reneechris14 was kind enough to post how to clean and recondition the Horizon windlass that many have.  He was even kind enough to post a link to a roller bearing part this is the weak link in the unit.
    Post edited by Formulaben on
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    All good suggestions above - also tighten electrical connections. Some heavy duty pwr usage req'd.
    I was surprised on our Rinker 276 at the elec connections in the anchor locker. (not the best) 
    Once solved, clean & grease windlass. (manufacturers recommend done annually......lol.)
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't say if the motor was running or not when activating the switch.  If it's not turning, you could have a rode jam, a bad solenoid, or low battery current reaching the motor.  Try it again when the engine running (or genset with battery charger on) and see if it's different.  If you can hear the motor turning, but rode isn't coming up then tighten the clutch.

You didn't say what model of FV you have or which windlass, but @reneechris14 was kind enough to post how to clean and recondition the Horizon windlass that many have.  He was even kind enough to post a link to a roller bearing part this is the weak link in the unit.
    Exactly, if the motor is running, it could be the clutch not grabbing the chain ... easy for it to go down due to gravity, but not back up!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I don’t think he would’ve replaced the switch if he heard the motor running….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I don’t think he would’ve replaced the switch if he heard the motor running….
    True, but he didn't say and that's why I asked.  When troubleshooting a problem, you eliminate ALL possibilities in the troubleshooting tree and assume nothing unless it's specifically been addressed...kinda like you do in your jet. :wink:
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Just throwing a simple check into the mix …  battery health. I’ve had a battery on its last leg that could still start the motors but the windlass would stall dead in if there was any load on the line.  It would go down but up was just a ‘click’ unless the line was completely slack.