Options

Smelly air conditioner

Could the rust in the drain tray be a reason for my foul smelling air conditioning??

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    Is there water in the pan or just rust? If there is water, check if the drain is clear. Is the smell coming from the ducts? Have you cleaned the filter screen?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn’t look like there is a filter over the coil. The ducting likely has dust and grunge  in it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    On my boat the filter isn’t on the coil, it’s behind the intake grill under the fwd birth.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian nailed it. All of my boats units had outer screens to filter dust. No screen on that intake. 

Someone here recommended this to clean intakes and coils that get caked with dust. Even though I’ve always had screens I still use this every few years and it works great to clean up what makes it through the screen:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Air-Conditioner-Foaming-Coil-Cleaner-AC-921/206740351
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    Mine has a screen behind the intake grill AND over the coil.
  • Options
    JakesRinker300JakesRinker300 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Aero. I’ve never checked to see if there is standing water in that tray during operation. The boat is stored for the winter but looking into the smelly air was one of my winter projects. It appears though that the water isn’t draining. The “filter” for the air conditioner is a metal screen located in the wall of the mid cabin just above the AC unit. 
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    Mine has a screen behind the intake grill AND over the coil.
    My coils are located right behind the seat back for the seating area in the mid cabin. 
  • Options
    The pan drains are a little higher than the bottom so when actively using the AC on a hot day/weekend I always have some standing water in there. It usually dries after a day or three of non use. The drain issue comes when it is over flowing. Easy though to make sure drains are clear, I usually use something plastic and not a screw driver as I dont want to puncture anything. A stuff cable tie usually works well for me.

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    To get rid of the water sitting in the pan and rotting it out, I added a fiberglass bakery tray under the AC unit with a flush drain. I drilled the bottom of the original pan (to go with the rust holes) to drain into the lower panI also added a washable pre-filter behind the intake vent
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another suggestion would be to add a wedge under the opposite end to the drain. I did this when I replaced my AC. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    It’s hard to tell in your picture but the water line looks to be above the drain hole. So it’s possible your smell is from standing water in the pan.

@YYZRC , I did the same when I replaced mine.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JakesRinker300 I highly doubt any foul smell is emanating from the AC unit itself due to the standing water in the pan. It is more likely that there is mold somewhere in your carpet/upholstery from a leak and the blowing air is exacerbating the smell. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Ian nailed it. All of my boats units had outer screens to filter dust. No screen on that intake. 

Someone here recommended this to clean intakes and coils that get caked with dust. Even though I’ve always had screens I still use this every few years and it works great to clean up what makes it through the screen:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Air-Conditioner-Foaming-Coil-Cleaner-AC-921/206740351
    Would you recommend applying this foaming product while it’s in service or can I do this while the boat is in storage?
  • Options
    Would an ionizing machine help with this odour?
  • Options

Would you recommend applying this foaming product while it’s in service or can I do this while the boat is in storage?
    You can do it in storage, just do it a few days before launch. Like it says this is self cleaning and kinda just runs down in to the pan, the condensation water helps to clean the coils off. I've done it in the water and let it sit for the day, then turn the unit on, I've also done it on the hard when I knew the boat would go in and be used within the week.

It does a really nice job cleaning dust off of the coils and intake. My in-laws had a 1974 flybridge with a very old unit in it and it was freezing up. Trouble shooting lead to air flow and I realized it had no filter at all on the intake so it was caked with crap. I sprayed this stuff on in several coats over the course of several days so that it kept taking layer off. Worked awesome the entire following summer. No freeze up..... and still no filter LOL

• Options
    Would an ionizing machine help with this odour?
    Once you fix the source of the odor it should go away pretty quickly.

• Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    The AC in my boat had a very strong smell when we first got it.  We cleaned the screen covering the coils and it cleared it up completely.  I brought the screen home for cleaning again this winter, provided I can’t find a replacement screen.   I will be ordering the cleaning foam tonight, seems like a great way to clean the coils which I am sure are filthy. 
    2006 342FV - Ontario