Options

Subwoofer volume not aligned with stereo

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 14 in Non-Rinker Boats
I have a fusion head unit which powers only the cabin speakers. It’s tied to an amp and the amp runs 4 cockpit JL 6.5” and then 1 10” JL sub in the cockpit. 

My issue is that the sub volume does not change in alignment with the stereo. If we are out running the boat and crank the stereo volume up to hear it over the engines, the sub stays low, I then have to go in to the fusion app to turn up the sub so we get bass while running. Then back at the dock there will be way too much bass at lower volumes so back to the app to turn down the sub volume. Kinda irritating. Started when I changed from a clarion head unit to fusion. 

Any ideas on how to fix this so the stereo volume moves the sub up and down in alignment with the stereo?
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    edited February 14
    I assume the RCA input cables are connected like this:
    Zone 1 (R/L) ---> amp inputs for main speakers
    Zone 1 sub ---> amp input for subwoofer

If so, I agree the volume setting should control the sub.  Which head unit do you have -- RA770 or RA70NSX?
  • Options
    edited February 14
    Yep there is a direct line for rca from head unit to amp for speakers and then a sub out on the head unit that goes to a sub in on the amp.

I have the MS-RA60

Edit: Realized I said things a little backwards. At the dock I have to keep the bass up high to be able to get bass, 20 - 22 of 24. Then when running there is way too much bass after turning the volume up to hear over engines, so when running have to turn bass down to 13-14 of 24. Then at dock, turn back up.
    Post edited by Liberty44140 on

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you by chance considered an amp with bass remote dedicated to the sub?
  • Options
    I am strongly considering changing my Kenwood amp to a JL. The Kenwood is only 6 yrs old though. But I dont know that the bass remote on the amp will make a difference since the fusion app lets me control the sub?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Can you try doing a factory reset on the Fusion?  Something ain't right.  There's a setting for subwoofer gain, but the subwoofer volume should go up and down with the main volume.  
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    @Liberty44140 do you have the Fusion mobile app on your phone?  Apparently that's how they deliver firmware updates...might be worth checking that too. 
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    I do use the app regularly, that is now I adjust the sub volume at the dock and running. I believe that it auto updates when connected to the head unit and on my boat's wifi but I can't say 100%. I will look at that this weekend. Will also see if there is a way to factory reset.

I contacted Fusion directly and they sent back some instructions starting with changing the sub frequency both on the head unit and amp to 160hz, and adjusting bass boost on the amp to 5 (which I believe is exactly in the middle), then adjust the input gains for the sub per normal adjustment for optimal use. So I'll try that in the coming weeks too and report back. I know the Sub's settings are more in the 60 - 80hz arena. 

Glad to know this is not normal. The resident know it all on my dock said this is normal so I've been living with it but maybe I found something he doesnt know?  :D

• Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    That so definitely not normal. I think the sub follows zone 1 so if your cabin is in zone 1 but your cockpit is on the zone 2 RCAs, then the sub volume will only change when the volume of both zones are increased (or said another way it would follow the cabin volume instead of the cockpit volume). You should check if you can put the cockpit and sub both on zone 1 and the cabin on the zone 2 speaker leads.