Options

I/O to outboard? (FV270)

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bringing this up AGAIN. It's been a year.. 

Crazy to even think about? 

Would it be that crazy to convert a 2004 270 FV to an outboard boat?

Before you say yes.. look at the prices for anything even close to what you'd get if you did this.. I can't find an outboard boat like the 270 for under 150k... can you? 

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10
    To an intelligent buyer, it would be worth whatever the outboard is worth. Maybe less. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Yeah, it would be so much fun to have a 270 w/ an outboard. I've been coming to a fork in the road with her. The path forward appears to be putting her into a dry storage plan, clean her up, do whatever mait. needs to be done and sell her..  Probably going to start that plan April 1st. using her on the weekends. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    edited March 11
    Agree with @YYZRC -- an outboard conversion would have to be [for] yourself, not the next owner.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    I don't tink the swim platform of the 270 unbolts???

Since you're going to add what is assume is two 150 or 200 motors at about 700 lbs each you'd probably want a motor Mount bracket that extends the hull length and also add floatation to the stern so it doesn't squat in the water. 

Would require a good fiberglass guy to make that look right. 

Then you hope she handles well once it's done.  Would suck for it to get squirrely on plane after spending all that money or to track like a bumper car on ice when running no wake speeds. 

You can travel inland and get some good used running 2 stroke Yamaha ox motors to save some coin in power.  Inland motors shouldn't have any corrosion issues so resale in southern Florida shouldnt be too hard if you decide it doesn't work. 

I'm not sure I'd tear apart a running hull with rebuilt transom to do this.  Not unless I had a cash flow where money was no issue, then I'd do stupid crap just to pass the time because people with that much money don't really need a job. 

If you want an outboard cruiser on the cheap, there's a Bayliner like mine sitting on a triaxle trailer in North Carolina.  They've already removed the inboard and have a twin motor mount bracket installed.  Its 28 ft with a 9 ft beam.  Weighs about 9,000 lbs, maybe a little less with no motor or out outdrive so you'd want a good size tow rig.  

The asking price is around 5700.   The trailer appears to be a proper fit.  You can't find a trailer that fits a 30ft loa boat 9.5 ft wide for 5k in good shape used. 

At that price the motor bracket is practically free.   If it doesn't work out you can toss on a 50 hp motor and sell it to someone who wants to live in a mooring field then get inflated price for the trailer right before the next big named storm hits.   Not many 28 footers have an aft cabin with a real closing door.   

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Outboard conversions always remind me of converting street cars for driving on race tracks.  :D  Guy buys luxury car (Mercedes, Audi) and it's too slow.  Guy stiffens suspension and "adds lightness" by stripping the interior.  Guy ends up with car that is still slow, and now has no resale value.  

But seriously.  If you did an outboard conversion, what would your goals be?  Speed, efficiency, low maintenance?  Could probably get some combination of the three.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy with the Bayliner had two 2 stroke mercruiser 150s on it.  I requested a report on how it worked out and never got one. 

I wouldn't guess that set up would be efficient,  but I bet it would be fast!

• Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Yeah, it would be so much fun to have a 270 w/ an outboard. I've been coming to a fork in the road with her. The path forward appears to be putting her into a dry storage plan, clean her up, do whatever mait. needs to be done and sell her..  Probably going to start that plan April 1st. using her on the weekends. 
    Just curious, what is the issue(s) with your 270?  
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noooooooooooooooooooo
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Uh oh, look what was just posted on facebook. May be an image of boat and text
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They still have the hole open for the i/o...interesting..the cost...
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it posted on April 1?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    talking to the guy now, real deal , posted today.