Options

Custom length dock lines

tonystoytonystoy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
Has anyone had custom length lines made for their boat? If so, could you recommend a company? TIA!

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9
    Do you mean lines you'd use at your home dock with eyes at both ends? I would not recommend that method since there are a bunch of variables when tying up a boat.

What I did was buy longer lines than needed, have the eye end on the boat-side cleats, then tied off the bitter ends on the dock, allowing for slack/tightening adjustments as needed, then cut, melted, and plastic-tipped the bitter ends. (You can also get fancy and whip them.)

Viola! Custom dock lines with no extra mess on the dock. These are the lines I just detach and drop on the deck when departing, and ready to go when we get back.

I of course have another set on the boat for wherever we are going.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Short answer, no -- I never had custom lines made, but I always cut the dock lines to length in my home slip. 

Years ago I was using a cleat hitch for each line, but I stopped doing that because it didn't leave enough room on the cleats for adding storm lines.  Instead, I'd tie a bowline knot for the dock cleat.  I'd whip the rope end by taping with electrical tape, cutting through the tape with a sharp knife, and melting the end.  

To really save space on the cleat, you can pass the rope through the center hole and then tie the bowline.  
  • Options
    So I am able to have a 4 point tie off while back at the dock. My thought was to have custom lines with eyes on both sides to tie off to the pilings for my front 2 cleats (I dock with stern in) and then have adjustable lines on the back 2 cleats. I just feel like it will be easier, keep me centered in the dock on those front 2 custom lines.
  • Options
    How much tide swing do you have?  Maybe you should look into TideMinders -- those "string of pearls" things that ride up and down on the piling.  Those things are great.  You pull them both tight and the boat will stay perfectly centered.  
    https://www.tideminders.com/
  • Options
    I’m on Lake Erie…so besides the once a year seiche, it is maybe a couple of inches at times. I live 25 minutes from the dock, so during bad storms or possible seiche situations, I can run down there quickly.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my Home Dock I ordered 2 I think 50’ lines with one eyelet on each. The premade eyelets I use for the forward cleats. They work great for me every season. I just have to remember how many times I wrap the piling and I put marks on the line so I know when/where to start to wrap them. The eyelets that I put on the lines line up every time on the aft cleats.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    No tide?  You are lucky and spoiled.  Premade lines sound like a solid idea, which means we've offered you zero answers to your question.   :D
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony, go to Sobstad Sailmakers in Rocky River. Ask for Richard. They can splice nylon dock lines. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks for all of your replies 
    @Liberty44140 that is perfect! They are 15 minutes from my house. I will contact them tomorrow.