Options

What an Exceptional Site!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12 in Non-Boating Related
I've been debating for some time about posting this, but an experience today convinced me. As some of you may know, we sold our FV270 in the fall of 2021 for a variety of reasons. Our marina was going down the tubes after new ownership, the Admiral developed a vertigo condition that made boating difficult, and somebody started throwing $100 bills at me until I got more than what I paid 4 years prior. I still check in here almost every day to see the exploits of the exceptional members and who knows, might get back into boating again one day.
We sat out a year and then got into a small travel trailer that kept us occupied for a season, then jumped into a 40 foot destination model at a permanent site, actually not far from our home. We enjoy a lot of the same social atmosphere and activities as we had in boating, just not on the water. But I digress...
When we got into the RV lifestyle I searched, and searched and searched for a similar forum as this one that related to RV's.
Forget it. It's like the Wild West out there. Part of the issue I guess is that this site is devoted to a particular brand, so a smaller audience. I did finally settle on a forum that relates to our RV manufacturer, Forest River, but Forest River is vast and manufacture's over 3 dozen different brands, with multiple models, so the forum is huge and very scattered. It is not financially supported by the brand, so very advertising heavy, a lot of annoying pop-ups and other trash. The moderator's have their hands full just trying to sort posts into the appropriate sections. Most annoying, and what got me going today is that much like this site, a lot of posts are requesting help and advice. In almost every instance it seems that no one bothers to read previous posts before posting their opinion, so a lot of repeat and useless information. It soon degenerates into members pointing out why each other's suggestions are wrong instead of trying to help the original poster. A lot of chest pounding and drivel.
This Rinker forum on the other hand is very well run, the Mod's do an exceptional job, the members are friendly and helpful and although we all don't always agree, the discussion is generally respectful and inclusive. It's like night and day.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have been thankful for my membership here and I hope you all realize what a valuable resource this site is. Kudo's to all involved. And a gratuitous pic to show our current recreational activity...

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh...and a big thing I forgot to mention about the RV forum....there's no Mobile viewing option....it's a freaking RV site... people might be traveling?? ;)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Well, glad you like staying on this forum!  We love having you here and you contribute with or without a boat.  I so much enjoy meeting forum members!  I love seeing pics of the RVing as well.  Definitely a similar lifestyle (although much easier to maintain the generator 😉

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    I've drawn the same conclusion, but from a different angle. 

Maritimo has no real web presence the way that we do.  Most Maritimo owners don't do their own work.  If the genny quits or the framitz gasket leaks, the owner's captain arranges for a factory mechanic to be flown in by chopper to fix it.  (Sorta kidding but not entirely.)

Facey-page has a private spot for Maritimo owners, but it's mostly new product announcements for the latest 70-footer.  When I post mods that I've done, they give polite applause, but they don't really understand it the way you folks do.  
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    Will hound, try checking out IRV2 . com.  I've found it to be a decent RV forum, with "minimal" chest pounding haha!  I've learned quite a bit there so far.  Here's a camp pic of one of our stops on Spring Break last month. It was in the White Mountains in eastern AZ. Too cold to fish though, but beautiful. 
    2000 Captiva 232