Options

Depth gauge

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was the Faria depth Guage the std install on 270's along with their other gauges? I can see it, I see an image that looks like it on google- just did not remember it being Faria...I don't want to have to replace the transducer...

Comments

• Options
    I guess this has to be what I had..
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Ras, That's what came on mine. Its a 2001. 
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    My 2006 has the Faria. 
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Thanks- I see a similar that says no longer available. I hope I don't have to re wire the boat because they updated stuff- what a mess! Pretty much have to order with a new transducer, just don't want to install it if I don't have to.
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    When I was researching getting new guages I got the same and worse it seems you need a new thru hull as well. I am just going to use the depth finder on my Garmin
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2000 is a Faria also.   I learned with other boats in the past, to never mount two different transducers too close together.  The beams will cross under the boat, and give really wonky results. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't as bad as you may think it is. The transducer itself comes with enough wire to very likely reach the helm and just directly plug into the gauge. I did it on mine and I actually just simply cut the old wire and beat the old transducer out with a big hammer. Then cleaned up the whole dropped in the new one. You do have to get a whole new setup. The old Faria used a different frequency that isn't used anymore. So your transducer isn't compatible with any new sensors.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @davidbrooks it is not installed like a thru hull fitting,  a threaded nut on one side, flange on the out side, just glued on? I've never looked at it..
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Likely just plastic.  You can put a big channel lock on the nut inside. It is just not easy to get to with an engine in.  If you wack it really well with a large hammer or mallet you can beat it out. New ones are not quite the same diameter. So get a big tube of 5200 to seal in the new one.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @davidbrooks- the 270 is not that bad- not spacious by any means but the 9' beam and the single motor dies have its advantages- speed not being one of them..